Pink Floyd - Animals

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:31 pm

lukpac wrote:DSOTM and The Wall were some of the first CDs I ever purchased. I listened to both a fair amount back in the day. These days I just don't have much interest in listening.

PF were always interested in good production, though.

Good in a technical sense, perhaps, but IMO boring. You can still get an organic feel (clearly not what they were/are going for) while sounding good in a technical sense.

I see where you are going with this. To their credit though, both of those records are both fairly heavy handed in production especially "The Wall".

I do still enjoy both very much but find DSOTM a bit more forgiving as it doesn't go over the top like "The Wall" does.

Maybe it's because I am biased because I like Floyd, but when I think of a produced sound, I think more along the lines of the sterile sound of Steely Dan.
Craig

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:04 am

The last passable thing Roger Waters ever did was "Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk" -- and that was easily the worst song on an otherwise flawless album.

It's absolutely stunning how a group of Barrett-less no talent Herberts ever managed a second album, much less a career of moneyed statistics. If this doesn't prove the adage that the masses are gullible sheep, I don't know what does. No wonder Roger wrote a half-assed concept album about the Pink Floyd audience!

The Pink Floyd have all the charm and creativity of, I dunno, the rhythm section of Herman's Hermits or the rhythm guitarist of the Searchers or Marmalade. Truly, it's staggering that these guys managed to survive at all. It's as if the drummer of John's Children and the organist of the Riot Squad got togther in 1969 and somehow manged to sell a billion albums over the next decade instead of settling into their careers as lorry drivers and bar tenders.

Has there ever been a more limp and dull rhythm section as Waters/Mason???

Rick Wright: why does this flake even exist? His pseudo-jazz noodlings on Animals don't even belong to the arrangements of the rest of the record. Very odd.

I also like those live videos of post-Waters Pink Floyd. How many people are on the stage? About sixty, it looks like, and I could swear that Gilmour's guitar and Wright's keyboard banks are not even plugged in. But leave it to Nick Mason to have an even easier job than those two. Is he even pretending to hold drums sticks? Ha ha ha. And given all that, the idiots are STILL paying $150 to see "Pink Floyd". Animals!
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:08 pm

One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
That one ain't bad--different at least. Liked "Echoes" in the Pompeii film too. Floyd was never a favorite band of mine--Water's smug pessimism got a bit old. At least they tried different stuff though.