Hoffman's Doobies gold

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
Patrick M

Hoffman's Doobies gold

Postby Patrick M » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:00 pm

I know it's been said before on this forum before, but I'll say it again:

WOW!!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm hearing details in this one that not even my Rega Planter 3 could pull out my mint-y test press LP.

I'm one very satisifed customer. :P
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:14 pm

Witch one - Best of DCC or Minut bye Minut AF
Barry

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:50 pm

The new AF of course!
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:21 am

Can it make tulips grow better than a Rega Planter 3?
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

MK

Postby MK » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:26 pm

Wait til you pulverize it, roll it up, and light it up. Whoooooah, that's what I call a doobie...
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:27 pm

It still comes nowhere near the Doobies' electrifying performance on the 70s classic "What's Happening." :twisted:
Craig

GoogaMooga

Postby GoogaMooga » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:31 am

The AF Minute By Minute is the best sounding CD in my collection! I was a fool to pass on those DCC and MoFi gold CD's. Actually, I do have the DCC gold Band on the Run, that sounds fantastic too. Wouldn't it be great if AF put out gold CD's of the entire Doobie catalog! I sold the old Warner unremastered beasts when Rhino put out the box set, but somehow a box set isn't quite enough for The Doobie Brothers.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:36 am

GoogaMooga wrote:Wouldn't it be great if AF put out gold CD's of the entire Doobie catalog!

Wouldn't it be great if AF put out something?

GoogaMooga

Postby GoogaMooga » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:17 am

I know, what's going on? It's little more than a trickle at AF.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:44 am

Maybe AF is being attacked by hackers.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:19 am

krabapple wrote:Maybe AF is being attacked by hackers.

Let's hope they can find a way to hack the actual CD's and change all that shit music to something listenable.

MK

Postby MK » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:09 pm

I think it just sucks to be a small audiophile label. Look at MFSL, I can't believe they put out so many releases in the 80's and 90's. Now it's like, what, 5 SACD's or gold CD's a year? If they're lucky?

I'm not big on the Doobies, but "What A Fool Believes" is the king of yacht rock, and Hoffman did great work on that album. I'm sure he could make the whole catalog sound better and it'll probably sell, but with tight resources and licensing limitations, I wouldn't be optimistic.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:19 pm

I was just saying, why doesn't AF take a One Way/Wounded Bird approach? Can't be worse than putting out nothing, can it?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:25 pm

MK wrote:I think it just sucks to be a small audiophile label. Look at MFSL, I can't believe they put out so many releases in the 80's and 90's. Now it's like, what, 5 SACD's or gold CD's a year? If they're lucky?

Agreed. I partly understand that stinginess on the part of the major labels, but...c'mon, surely they want to, y'know, sell shit, right? I thought that, in their desperation for profit, they'd have reversed course and would be licensing to ANYBODY who could make their product palatable for re-purchase.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:31 pm

lukpac wrote:I was just saying, why doesn't AF take a One Way/Wounded Bird approach? Can't be worse than putting out nothing, can it?

Marshall only puts out what he likes. He said that the Stooges and Beefheart don't have the "soundscan numbers" to look into.