McCartney's Chaos & Creation: it sucks/A Bigger Bang

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:27 pm

Picked up both A Bigger Bang and Bridges to Babylon yesterday. I listened to both in the car yesterday, and I'm (slowly) getting through ABB again now.

Eh.

There are a few things on both albums where I've thought "oh, that's pretty decent/good", but in the end my general opinion of both is they are decent enough, but nothing terribly memorable. Maybe I need a few more listens.

Whoever did the art on ABB should be shot. The liners are really, really annoying.

And am I the only one that would like production more in line with Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers? I guess I just don't like that "modern" drum sound in particular.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

MK

Postby MK » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:41 pm

Yeah, it would be cool to get a retro sounding production, but you'll only find that with certain indie albums.

I actually think it's a good production. Yeah, 'modern,' but Don Was didn't shlock things up. Listen to Dylan's crappy UNDER THE RED SKY or Bonnie Raitt's NICK OF TIME - glossy and slick productions, both by Was.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:45 pm

The production isn't bad, I just don't like that sound in general. Plus there's something about the mix/mastering that just doesn't seem easy on the ears. A lot of grit, and a generally kind of processed sound.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:29 am

I just heard "Chaos & Creation" and I love it. I was expecting it to be really lame and cheesy, based on everything you guys are saying. It turns out, you guys are wrong. I was pleasantly surprised by this album. I think he sounds great for his age, very inspired, and the songs are very memorable, the first few at least. I hear a little Jeff Lynne and George Harrison in there. I also love the sound, but I'm a big fan of Nigel's already. The lyrics do suck, but that's nothing new. Show me a songwriter who is truly a genius at melody, lyrics, and musicianship. Paul's got two out of three.

In my opinion, this album is a lot better than Red Rose Speedway, Speed Of Sound, London Town, or any of his albums from the 80's.

Paul doesn't "have it" anymore? Oh, please. Blow me.

MK

Postby MK » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:07 pm

I want a meal, not a snack.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:21 pm

JWB wrote:Paul doesn't "have it" anymore? Oh, please. Blow me.

Well, there's a compelling argument. I'm sold!
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:50 pm

JWB wrote:Show me a songwriter who is truly a genius at melody, lyrics, and musicianship.

Randy Newman?

Anyway, the reason people come down so hard on McCartney's current lyrics is because he used to write brilliant lyrics. If the best he'd ever done was Silly Love Songs, I think people would be a lot kinder about the stuff on the new album.

MK

Postby MK » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:08 pm

Newman, sure, but like McCartney, his later work is spotty...but hell of a songwriter nonetheless. Even if McCartney is a genius at melody and musicianship, his songs haven't been all that inventive or tuneful for at least a decade, and except for the bass-playing, and occasionally the piano work, the musicianship on CHAOS and FLAMING PIE isn't all that special.

Seriously, if you want to look at melodies, musicianship, and words, listen to the latest stuff by Spoon, or Jack White, or Sons and Daughters, or Franz Ferdinand, or Sleater-Kinney...or if you want swap instrumental skills out with skills in the studio, MIA, Kanye West, LCD Soundsystem, or the stuff Kanye produced for Common...or even BECK. Guero's not a personal favorite, but if I want to buy something from an artist (possibly) past his prime, I'd take Guero anyday. If he's still too 'new', then I'll take Devils & Dust or Prairie Wind, neither of which I'm crazy about but at least have a few songs that are worth more than CHAOS as a whole.

Hell, even the recent overrated releases (IMO) by Fiona Apple, Sufjan Stevens, Coldplay, and Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah are better albums.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:14 am

JWB wrote:I just heard "Chaos & Creation" and I love it. I was expecting it to be really lame and cheesy, based on everything you guys are saying. It turns out, you guys are wrong. I was pleasantly surprised by this album. I think he sounds great for his age, very inspired, and the songs are very memorable, the first few at least. I hear a little Jeff Lynne and George Harrison in there. I also love the sound, but I'm a big fan of Nigel's already. The lyrics do suck, but that's nothing new. Show me a songwriter who is truly a genius at melody, lyrics, and musicianship. Paul's got two out of three.

Yeah, I picked it up and was surprised to find myself liking it. Maybe it's Godrich's production, I don't know. Some of the lyrics are bleah, but as a whole, I'm much more satisfied with this than I was with "Driving Rain."
Craig