Somewhere, TJ is weeping: Eagles remasters

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
MK

Somewhere, TJ is weeping: Eagles remasters

Postby MK » Sat May 28, 2005 1:51 pm

Man, did you see the slagging TJ got at SH Forums (before Keith's antisocial tendencies got the best of him...again...)?

Civilized, but still pretty harsh. The remasters essentially suck, thinned out bass, lower treble boost. Jamie Tate made the thread and Steve added his thumbs down. I'm not big on the Eagles, but I've got "Hotel California" on DCC's gold disc, and after doing some comparison, the DCC disc sounds A LOT more natural than Jensen's work. Not a perfect recording to begin with, but Jensen didn't do it any favors.

Steve did mention too much bass in the mix, so maybe the thinned out bass is a bigger problem on the earlier CD's, but regardless of what was done, the remaster is pretty hard sounding.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Dob

Re: Somewhere, TJ is weeping: Eagles remasters

Postby Dob » Sat May 28, 2005 10:09 pm

I haven't heard any of the remasters, but I have the DCC and the target CD. To my ears, the tonalities are definitely different, but it's tough to say which is better. Yes, the DCC does sound better for the Lyin' Eyes intro, but once the vocals start I prefer the target. Sounds like SH boosted the treble for the intro and then switched to a different EQ, leaving the vocals rather hollow sounding. I wonder if it's just a coincidence that Jaime chose to fade out the clips when the vocals started.
MK wrote:...before Keith's antisocial tendencies got the best of him...again...?

Believe it or not, KeithH used to be very polite and tolerant...
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

Stretcher Case

Re: Somewhere, TJ is weeping: Eagles remasters

Postby Stretcher Case » Sat May 28, 2005 10:15 pm

Dob wrote:I haven't heard any of the remasters, but I have the DCC and the target CD. To my ears, the tonalities are definitely different, but it's tough to say which is better. Yes, the DCC does sound better for the Lyin' Eyes intro, but once the vocals start I prefer the target. Sounds like SH boosted the treble for the intro and then switched to a different EQ, leaving the vocals rather hollow sounding. I wonder if it's just a coincidence that Jaime chose to fade out the clips when the vocals started.
MK wrote:...before Keith's antisocial tendencies got the best of him...again...?

Believe it or not, KeithH used to be very polite and tolerant...

Well, as "9fold" over on AA, I'd beg to differ. Kind of a Jekyll and Hyde thing going on with Mr. Hirsch.
ALHAJI ADAMU IDRIS IS NOT HAPPY THAT YOU DEMANDED HIS PASSPORT.