Beck's "Guero"

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:55 pm

krabapple wrote:I am another ...I know a few others too. So I think there's more like ten of us.

Yeah, I like it too. I especially love "Debra," the best Prince parody ever that's not by Ween.

MK

Postby MK » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:56 am

From stem to stem? Dude, "Sexx Laws"! And yes, "Debra" is also cool. "Mixed Bizness," "Nicotine and Gravy," and "Beautiful Way" are the other ones I love. "Real Plaid" (I think that's the title) I've learned to love after hearing the Flaming Lips play it with Beck. One of THE highlights of that tour.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:12 am

well, maybe they do...or, if you believe the conspiracy rumours, the CoS has the 'goods' on its celebs, from when they are first 'audited' or whatever the fuck it's called. Once you've been stupid enough to reveal your sordid affairs to a CoS 'auditor', they can forever after keep you in line by threatening to make them public. Or so goes the chatter.

You're referring to something called "Preclear Folders," which are the records kept during the first stages of auditing, all the way up to (and sometimes beyond) the "clear" cognition. Yes, there do exist, and yes, the CoS has used them against former members before (although they of course deny this end to end, and I don't think they've ever utilized any of that information against high-level members). On A.R.S., there're more thna a few people who've had dealings with the church's celebrity members over the years, and according to them there *are* juicy bits in the folders in question.

Thing is, though, you'd think that any public figure under active blackmail by the CoS would realize that the damage goes both ways. If Travolta wanted to get out, he could make a spectacularly noisy exit, doing far more damage to the organization than they could do to him (short of attempting to kill him or his family, which I wouldn't put past them). Any use of any PC material would immediately show the group for what they are, and contrary to ALO's assertion, there *is* such thing as bad publicity.

Nah, it just doesn't jibe. I think they've been mostly lulled into complacency; either that, or they just don't take it seriously. Fuck, that Kaballah knockoff is one of the most shallow, stupid celebrity fads to come along in quite some time--inauthentic to the point where a twelve-year old on the internet for ten minutes could likely discover all sorts of unsavoury things about the movement and its founder--yet all sorts of people are going for that.

I can't imagine what skeleton Travolta must have in his closet, though, to agree to make 'Battlefield Earth'. Did he kill and eat a girl scout or something?

Ehh. He *wanted* to make the fucking thing--had wanted to make it for years, in fact. The biggest mystery is why Forrest Whittaker or Barry Pepper ever agreed to do it.

Travolta did, at one point, express displeasure with the way the CoS was being administered, but any sign that he has any negative thoughts about anything related to the Church have long since vanished.

I am another ...I know a few others too. So I think there's more like ten of us.

Debra is a beautiful thing.

JWB

Postby JWB » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:15 am

I don't know what it is about "Midnite Vultures" that rubs me the wrong way. The whole thing leaves me cold and dissatisfied. There are some b-sides that are better than the album tracks. I do like "Debra" because I saw him perform it on the "Odelay" tour and it was definitely the highlight of the show.

MK

Postby MK » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:56 am

I heard he did "Debra" very differently on the solo acoustic tour preceding the Lips tour, supposedly sincere rather than a parody. That would've been real interesing to hear, 'cuz the show I went to, he played "Love" by John Lennon, "I Heard That Lonesome Whistle" by Hank Williams, "Kangaroo" by Alex Chilton/Big Star, etc. and if he sung it like those three with nothing more than him and Smokey Hormel, it could've been real interesting. Wished I brought a tape recorder. Small place, no security (this was a looooow-key concert), no searching, REALLY close to the stage, could've made a PERFECT recording.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:29 pm

I'm sure someone else made a recording, MK. I have at least one boot from that tour that I grabbed from easytree.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

MK

Postby MK » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:58 pm

I hope so, that is, I hope someone else made a good recording. I found one two weeks later, but it was a really bad recording, probably made up in the balcony or someplace where the mix was off.

Dob

Postby Dob » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:56 pm

Xenu wrote:But Tom Cruise and Tommy Travolda really do audit space aliens off themselves, because that's what you *do* in Scientology.

Xenu wrote:..."Preclear Folders," which are the records kept during the first stages of auditing, all the way up to (and sometimes beyond) the "clear" cognition.

Can you provide a link that has a layman's explanation of this stuff?
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:06 pm

Why, www.xenu.net , of course.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney