My first Who thread!

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
krabapple

My first Who thread!

Postby krabapple » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:32 pm

from SHTv re: Live at Leeds:

Originally Posted by Chris M
Not correct. The '95 single disc Leeds remix and Disc One of the 2CD Leeds Deluxe Edition feature the same remix and mastering.

Not quite, Chris. The Deluxe edition has more dialogue and a vastly inferior mastering.

So, who's right?
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

JWB

Postby JWB » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:22 pm

I am goddamnit! The deluxe edition has an expanded Disc One and it was mastered by Jon Astley. The single disc was mastered by a professional.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:08 am

There's a bit more dialog on the DE. The mastering is a bit different - not as horrible as disc 2, but it isn't the same as the 1995 disc.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Re: My first Who thread!

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:27 pm

krabapple wrote:My first Who thread!

Luke ought to be mailing you your decoder ring and secret FLO handshake instructions right about now. :o
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:30 pm

I accept Luke as the authority on all things Whoish. So JWB wins this round.

FWIW, I ahve the first remaster of LOL -- am totally happy with that, not terribly interested in a complete live Tommy yet.... but I've never quite understood -- isn't there a hunk of Tommy in 'My Generation;' as well? Was that just something the Who did back then -- reference Tommy in other songs? Or was that an edit?

I can claim one bit of Who glory (or ignominy) over you pups...I saw the "Tommy" movie in NYC the first week it opened. I remember it being COLD as FUCK waiting on line outside the Zeigfeld theater.

I didn't get around to seeing them live until the re-toured 'Quadrophenia'
in the 90's.

John Buchanan

Postby John Buchanan » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:14 pm

See if you can get hold of the b**tleg of the unfutzed with tapes to hear the show with tape hiss, clicks etc. The whole concert is great.
John Buchanan

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:17 pm

If you're a member of Pedro's, there is a FLAC version of the 2-disc set there. For "evaluation" purposes only, of course.

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:20 pm

krabapple wrote:
I can claim one bit of Who glory (or ignominy) over you pups...I saw the "Tommy" movie in NYC the first week it opened. I remember it being COLD as FUCK waiting on line outside the Zeigfeld theater.

But I bet you didn't line up to see Lisztomania, now, did you?

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:51 pm

Was it in glorious "quintaphonic" sound, krab?

That 5-channel mix is pretty cool, actually. Better than the movie.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:03 pm

krabapple wrote:FWIW, I ahve the first remaster of LOL -- am totally happy with that, not terribly interested in a complete live Tommy yet.... but I've never quite understood -- isn't there a hunk of Tommy in 'My Generation;' as well? Was that just something the Who did back then -- reference Tommy in other songs? Or was that an edit?

They play a bit of See Me, Feel Me/Listening To You as well as some of Sparks. That's just the way they played it. On the bootleg there's a lengthy intro by Pete stating how they mix a bunch of stuff together for "one great huge deaf, deafinin din".
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:52 pm

krabapple wrote:

And did you feel hotter or colder after seeing Jack Nicholson singing and Ann Margret rolling around in baked beans?
Dan

The language and concepts contained herein are
guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the
place where the guy with the horns and pointed
stick conducts his business. - FZ

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:09 pm

Crummy Old Label Avatar wrote:
krabapple wrote:

But I bet you didn't line up to see Lisztomania, now, did you?

Alas. no.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:11 pm

dcooper wrote:
krabapple wrote:

And did you feel hotter or colder after seeing Jack Nicholson singing and Ann Margret rolling around in baked beans?

I felt a bit ill. Really, I was mainly there to see Elton John. I was a big fan back then. Much more so than of the Who.