Warren Zevon "Excitable Boy" CD: sound sucks

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
MK

Warren Zevon "Excitable Boy" CD: sound sucks

Postby MK » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:05 pm

I have the "Genius: Best of..." CD from Rhino. Released a few years ago, mastered by Inglot and Hersch at DigiPrep. Sounds fine, but sounded a whole lot better compared to the current "Excitable Boy" CD. Unless it's been quietly remastered, to my knowledge there's only been one CD mastering of "Excitable Boy," uncredited, and it sucks. It sounds like a really crappy tape was used, nothing like the "Genius: Best of..." CD.

I'm not a big fan of "Excitable Boy," I think it's very uneven - the original RS reviews nailed it, some very good tracks, some half-assed ones, and the good ones are anthologized on "Genius."

The Zevon family is supposedly INTERESTED in re-issuing the catalog with Rhino, but not much noise being heard outside of Rhino's doors...

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:02 pm

I wish Rhino would get off their butts and reissue the Zevon catalogue esp. Stand In The Fire which is not out on CD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:25 am

I like the sound of the S/T CD, but sonically Excitable Boy is... unexciting. I love both albums, though.

I keep hearing rumblings about Rhino doing something with that stuff (including Envoy and Stand In The Fire), but so far nada. (Dare I suggest that these unremastered WB holdings might make worthwhile AF CDs? I've already got them in typo-free, non Goodwill-sourced packaging...)

Are the recent Virgin remasters (Sentimental Hygiene, Transverse City) upgrades from the original CDs?

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:23 am

Excitable Boy was a pretty good-sounding LP, but the songs really didn't grab me. This would be prime meat for AF (seventies coke-rock on Elektra/Asylum being a specialty of the predecessor label and all), but if Rhino's already got plans to remaster them, I doubt that will happen.