Mason Proffit on Wounded Bird

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Mason Proffit on Wounded Bird

Postby lukpac » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:34 am

Wounded Bird *finally* released the "missing" Mason Proffit album on CD, Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream. I thought perhaps the fact that the album was originally issued on Ampex may have had something to do with it (One Way issued the group's other 4 albums, all licensed through Warner Bros.), but it turns out Warner Bros. has the rights to this one too. Odd that One Way skipped this.

At any rate, the general package is really similar in design to the One Way CDs, apparently for good reason:

It was not too long ago that Terry Wachsmuth helped start One Way Records for which he was head of A&R.  Recently Terry left One Way to start Wounded Bird Records and continue his efforts to re-release classic albums that would otherwise never see the light of day on CD!

They must have the same people (not) proofreading, as all of the discs seem to have typos here and there ("My Country" became "Country" for example - yet it's correct on the inside). As with the other Wounded Birds CDs I have, the cover art is boxed in for some reason.

As far as the sound goes, well...I was pretty happy with the One Way CDs; two of the albums sounded far better on CD than the original vinyl, while the other two were pretty close. With this one, though, the high end is jacked *way* up - probably 6dB or more. The LP sounds *great* - I can't imagine the tape really sounds like that (the hiss seems pretty exaggerated on the CD). Luckily it's nothing a little EQ can't take care of, but it's too bad they didn't do a better job. Luckily the EQ is the only problem - no limiting, NR, etc.

Time to play around in ProTools.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

balthazar

Postby balthazar » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:56 pm

as all of the discs seem to have typos here and there

Seems to be a problem with a lot of reissues. I've got a number of Deep Purple reissues on the Spit Fire label, and they've got the same kind of issues. "Bird Has Flown" is called "The Bird Has Flown" in another spot, etc. Sometimes the spelling is just plain bad.

They sound good though, even the stuff from BBC radio spots.
"It's great how you can control 60 musicians with one just stick-- I can't control these fuckers with two!" -- Ian Paice