Petra Haden Sings: The Who Sell Out

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Petra Haden Sings: The Who Sell Out

Postby lukpac » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:06 pm

For those who haven't heard of this, it's Petra Haden recreating TWSO, acapella. Yes, she sings bass lines, guitar solos, drum fills, etc. All of the commercials are there too. She was given an 8-track recorder with TWSO on one track and filled in the rest.

It isn't perfect, but it's still a blast. Just when you think the corniness is going to overtake everything, there's a moment that just makes you smile. I think as a whole it's more "fun" vs. technically great, there are songs/moments that she does a great job with.

The cover is pretty spot on as well...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:21 pm

I heard some clips from this on NPR this weekend and it sounded pretty cool. She talked about how she used to vocalize guitar solos as a kid, and memorized the Clare Torry vocal solo from "Great Gig In The Sky".

Her next project -- Carter Family songs with her sisters.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:02 pm

I want to hear her "Kid A."
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911