Cat Stevens - Majikat - Earth Tour 1976 2LP set, sources?

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
Jeff T.

Cat Stevens - Majikat - Earth Tour 1976 2LP set, sources?

Postby Jeff T. » Thu May 02, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm not sure this LP got a CD issue released? But anyway I am needle dropping it as I type this. I notice that side three appears to be cut at a slightly lower volume than the other sides, as I had to do a tiny boost to get it leveled with the others.

Listening to the music, I find the recording and mix are very very fine. But I sense it is a digital mix, the vocals and guitars have a certain upfront crisp sound that sounds more like digital than a 1976 live recording. The performances are good.

Looking at the back cover and inside gatefold, there is no mention of who recorded this, who mixed it, or where is was mixed? I can't recall ever seeing this info absent on a live album previously. Of course this is the Audio Fidelity numbered set, mastered and cut by Steve Hoffman & Kevin Gray, who don't normally use digital sources, but maybe for this one, that is all that it was mixed to? Not sure. But I sure as hell do not want to create a firestorm by suggesting "digital" mixed over at that other forum.

Does anyone know the person(s) who mixed this and where it was done?

Jeff T.

Re: Cat Stevens - Majikat - Earth Tour 1976 2LP set, sources

Postby Jeff T. » Fri May 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Looking further into this album, I see it got a CD release a couple years after the LP was pressed.

I guess I can look up the DVD credits, and sound mixer for the DVD is likely the same person(s) who did the audio only (LP/CD) version. I just wonder why no mixer credit was mentioned in LP notes? How odd.

My needle drop came out great btw, the AT440ml really opens everything up nicely.