Roger Waters, The Wall Live In Berlin DVD

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
britre

Roger Waters, The Wall Live In Berlin DVD

Postby britre » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:37 pm

I must say I was surprised, then excited to find this released on DVD and was remastered with extra footage. What is this extra footage? Well a bunch of set ups, unused video footage, and some stills. Not really worth the excitement. The Documentary on the making of the concert was interesting, but very short. I would have liked more.

I have owned this concert since I saw it live on VH1 in 1990, first on VHS release, then Laserdisc which I still have. One of the best produced Laserdiscs I ever spent hard earned dollars on.

Which is why this DVD dissapointed me greatly. The sound was incredible having a much wider presence and surround than any I have heard. The video however was like "What the F*&%"?

First, lots of digital freeze effects interspersed in the concert. When did this occur? It's not on any other copies? Then, on prior copies you could see Rodger playing bass and the music matching what he played. On this version Rodger's fingering is not even close, and is obviously all show in almost every song. In fact during parts of "The Wall Pt. 1" you see him slide his hand up, then down for a slide note, but there is no bass in that part of the song. What the F$^%&%? Not to mention they show a guy playing bass, then cut to Roger also playing Bass. Wait a tick? I only hear one Bass, they can't both be playing????

It is said that this is the original live broadcast with the exception of Shine-Heads singing in "Mother" but I have watched this concert many times in the past and last night just to check my memory, and this DVD is not any place close to the broadcast live version, or past video productions.

I recommend the DVD for the sound, and if you shut the TV off and just listen (even the Menu music is very cool and full version insturmentals, you got to hear them), you will have a better audio experience of this then you ever had before. As far as watching the concert, if you ever saw it before this DVD is gonna piss you off imensely. I payed to see Rodger play, not fake it! Booo!!!! :x