The Who - Who's Next Sessions

For discussion of those 'grey area' CDs
Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:37 am

Not sure how much of this is already out on DE or older bootlegs, etc. But the artwork is nice!

btw, it is currently seeding over at the green devil site :mrgreen:

Label: Sunrise (Japan)

Tracks:
01. Won’t Get Fooled Again (unreleased 1st version)
02. Pure And Easy (rough mix-1st version)
03. Baby Don’t You Do It (rough mm)
04. Love Ain’t For Keeping (unreleased 1st version)
05. Bargain (rough mix)
06. Too Much Of Anything (rough mm)
07. Getting In Tune (unreleased 1st version)
08. Song Is Over (rough mix)
09. Won’t Get Fooled Again (2nd version-rough mix)
10. Love Ain’t For Keeping (unreleased 1st session-alternate mix)
11. Getting In Tune (unreleased 1st version-"no drums' mix)
12. Pure And Easy (Pete on piano)
13. Baba' O'Riley
14. Going Mobile
15. My Wife
16. Behind the Blue Eyes

Tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 10 & 11: Record Plant sessions March 1971
Tracks 5, 6, 8 & 9: Olympic Studios April / May 1971
Tracks 12 - 16: From Who's Next DVD Classic Albums
Attachments
whosnextsessions.jpg
whosnextsessions.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 9631 times

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: The Who - Who's Next Sessions

Postby lukpac » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:09 am

Jeff T. wrote:Not sure how much of this is already out on DE or older bootlegs, etc. But the artwork is nice!

I think the Record Plant stuff is mostly the same as on From Lifehouse To Leeds. Although there are a couple of alt mixes.

Odd...Bargain is an (overloaded) alt mix, but it isn't the mix with single-tracked vocals that was found on Exciting. Pretty similar to the final mix, with a few small differences. All of the Olympic tracks are overloaded.

The alt mix of WGFA sounds similar to the one on The Who Collection.

Semi-interesting, but doesn't seem to be anything revelatory.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:56 pm

lukpac wrote:I think the Record Plant stuff is mostly the same as on From Lifehouse To Leeds. Although there are a couple of alt mixes.

Pure & Easy, Won't Get Fooled Again and the shorter Getting In Tune are definitely alternate mixes, as is the LAFK noted as being an alternate. Perhaps rough mixes done by Glyn Johns? Although, there's some odd stuff going on in places, notably at the end of Pure & Easy. I'd think any mixes by him would be more polished.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks Luke for the overview and your quick first impressions. I guess the alt. cover art (must be lifted from the Ethan Russell book, I need to go look) is about the best thing going on here?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Jeff T. wrote:Thanks Luke for the overview and your quick first impressions. I guess the alt. cover art (must be lifted from the Ethan Russell book, I need to go look) is about the best thing going on here?

I'm too lazy to go look, but I'm pretty sure the photo itself is in the Deluxe Edition. It isn't clear if the sky was pasted in by Russell or was taken from the standard cover and Photoshopped in by somebody. I'd be a little surprised if the sky was originally pasted into multiple shots; I would *assume* one shot was selected as "best" and then the sky pasted in.

The alt Record Plant mixes are actually interesting to me...the Lifehouse to Leeds mixes are pretty crummy.