Rolling Stones 'Time Trip Vol.5'

For discussion of those 'grey area' CDs
User avatar
JWB
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:12 am

Postby JWB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:39 am


User avatar
JWB
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:12 am

Postby JWB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:15 am

Here's my remaster of the stereo "Mother" in FLAC. Major improvement. Now it's similar in quality to the mono master. I don't think any mix of this song is going to sound good unless they go back and re-sync all the mutli-tracks and do a wicked stereo remix.

*link deleted*
Last edited by JWB on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JWB
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:12 am

Postby JWB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:01 am

Here are some observations as I work on my remaster:

- the stereo mixes and "Going Home" all come from the same source
- the backing tracks come from another source
- the early stuff comes from yet another source

So I think this boot was compiled from at least 3 different tapes. I could be wrong though.

I do have two questions: was the Italian song ever officially released, and if so, is it an alternate mix here? Also, is Heart Of Stone the officially released stereo mix?

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:43 am

JWB wrote:Here's my remaster of the stereo "Mother" in FLAC. Major improvement. Now it's similar in quality to the mono master. I don't think any mix of this song is going to sound good unless they go back and re-sync all the mutli-tracks and do a wicked stereo remix.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5M5DQPS9


That's pretty good. I think a bit more extreme than what I came up with. At the very least it would be nice to have this from a master tape source, rather than an apparent cassette copy. Not to mention all the overload in the right channel on this transfer.

JWB wrote:Here are some observations as I work on my remaster:

- the stereo mixes and "Going Home" all come from the same source
- the backing tracks come from another source
- the early stuff comes from yet another source

So I think this boot was compiled from at least 3 different tapes. I could be wrong though.

I do have two questions: was the Italian song ever officially released, and if so, is it an alternate mix here? Also, is Heart Of Stone the officially released stereo mix?


What makes you think Going Home comes from the same source as the stereo mixes?

Not sure on Heart of Stone - I haven't gotten around to comparing it yet. I'm wondering if maybe it just fades early on CD. Anyone have it in stereo on LP? I can't remember if I do or not.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
JWB
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:12 am

Postby JWB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:33 am

lukpac wrote:That's pretty good. I think a bit more extreme than what I came up with.


I wouldn't say it's extreme. It was the best I could achieve without it either being too shrill or too muffled.

lukpac wrote:What makes you think Going Home comes from the same source as the stereo mixes?


Same EQ, Same levels. Each of the 3 sections I mentioned has a different EQ setup.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:36 am

JWB wrote:I wouldn't say it's extreme. It was the best I could achieve without it either being too shrill or too muffled.


I just meant you went a bit farther than I did.

Same EQ, Same levels. Each of the 3 sections I mentioned has a different EQ setup.


Interesting, since they wouldn't have come from the same tape originally.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
JWB
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:12 am

Postby JWB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:42 am

lukpac wrote:Interesting, since they wouldn't have come from the same tape originally.


Didn't somone mention earlier that "Going Home" was on the unreleased LP along with the stereo mixes? Granted, they said it was a stereo mix, but, it would make sense.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:23 am

JWB wrote:Didn't somone mention earlier that "Going Home" was on the unreleased LP along with the stereo mixes? Granted, they said it was a stereo mix, but, it would make sense.


Yes, although stereo, and I don't think it has the false starts.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Aftermath
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:48 pm

Postby Aftermath » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:26 am

Is the version of Going Home here a fold down? That'd be my guess, but I haven't done any sort of comparison against other versions to confirm.

User avatar
JWB
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:12 am

Postby JWB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:46 am

Has "As Tears Go By" ever appeared in stereo?

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:02 pm

Aftermath wrote:Is the version of Going Home here a fold down? That'd be my guess, but I haven't done any sort of comparison against other versions to confirm.


It's unclear to me, considering the false starts. Have those *ever* shown up before? It could have been a mono mix/dub of the session reel.

JWB wrote:Has "As Tears Go By" ever appeared in stereo?


Not to my knowledge. Slightly odd, considering it was supposedly done at IBC by Glyn Johns, which was at least 3-track at the time. Of course, I don't have any use for that song, so...

Then again, there *is* stuff we know exists/existed that hasn't come out, like a stereo I'm Free (as the multi was apparently used for those remixes).
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
JWB
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:12 am

Postby JWB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:29 pm

After comparing my remaster of the stereo "Mother" to the mono mix I've decided to tweak it a little bit further and remove a bit of harshness from it. Lo and behold - this stereo mix sounds a lot better than the mono master. So even though it still doesn't sound magnificent, it's now the best sounding version of the master take that we have!

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:53 pm

Want to post it?

I played with it for an hour or two a few days ago, and got something pretty close to what you did, but it wasn't quite there. Maybe now I won't have to bother any more. I do wish the source was a bit better (ie, hiss).

Is it just me or does it sound like there are some minor alignment issues? Not as bad as some of the other stereo tracks, but still there...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
Xenu
Sellout
Posts: 2209
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:15 pm

Postby Xenu » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:57 pm

JWB wrote:I do have two questions: was the Italian song ever officially released, and if so, is it an alternate mix here?


Yes and yes. It's on several German releases, like "For Collectors Only," where it seems to have additional overdubs.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

User avatar
JWB
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:12 am

Postby JWB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:59 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by JWB on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.