Rolling Stones 'Time Trip Vol.5'

For discussion of those 'grey area' CDs
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re:

Postby lukpac » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:16 am

lukpac wrote:Mother still sounds like there's still room for improvement, but it's *by far* the best sounding version I've heard yet. Actual high end on the rhythm track! There's a tambourine!

Still waiting on my "holy grail" source...

This just came onto my radar - Reel Time Trip. I've honestly only listened to the RCA cuts so far, but...this is yet another upgrade. A few brief notes:

The Last Time - Seems to sound a bit better than my previous "best" source, and may run a hair longer.

Satisfaction - Surprisingly, runs a few seconds longer than Hot Rocks 1. If other (lower quality) boots ran longer in the past, I missed it.

19th Nervous - The alternate vocal take. The Time Trip 5 version clearly had tape issues, but this does not.

Paint It Black - The alternate mix.

Mother - This is easily the best I've heard this sound. TT5 sounded like it was from cassette, while this sounds a lot better.

I still need to re-EQ this stuff and digest it further, but it seems somebody finally got their hands on a great source (it wasn't me, unfortunately). This begs the question - what of the rest of the unreleased stereo LP (master take of 19th, Heart of Stone, Goin' Home)?

The Rolling Stones - Reel Time Trip
(Studio FLAC)

Label: Scorpio
Cat. #: RSRTT - 001

01 - You're Right, I'm Left, She's Gone (Mono) (S. Kesler & W. Taylor)
(December 1961, Dick Taylor's family home)
02 - The Last Time (Stereo)
(January 17, 1965 , RCA Studios, Hollywood)
03 - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Stereo)
(May 12-13, 1965 , RCA Studios, Hollywood)
04 - Get Off of My Cloud (Stereo)
(September 5-7, 1965 , RCA Studios, Hollywood)
05 - 19th Nervous Breakdown (Stereo)
(December 3-10, 1965 , RCA Studios, Hollywood)
06 - Paint It Black (Stereo)
(March 6-10, 1966 , RCA Studios, Hollywood)
07 - Have You Seen Your Mother, baby, Standing In The Shadow? (Stereo)
(August 4-12, 1966 , RCA Studios, Hollywood)
08 - Gimme Shelter (Stereo)
(February 22-25, 1969 , Olympic Sound Studios, London (alternative lyrics))
09 - You Got The Silver (Stereo)
(February 17, 1969 , Olympic Sound Studios, London) (Mick on vocals)
10 - Loving Cup (Stereo)
(June 10 - July 2, 1969 , Olympic Sound Studios, London) (early version)
11 - Sister Morphine (Stereo)
(March 28-31, 1969, Olympic Sound Studios, London)
12 - Brown Sugar (Stereo)
(December 2-4, 1969, Muscle Shoals Sound Studios, Alabama) (Version 3 )
13 - Dead Flowers (Stereo)
(December, 1969, Olympic Sound Studios, London) (alternative lyrics)
14 - Bitch (Stereo)
(February 17 - March, 1970 Rolling Stones Mobile, Stargroves, Newbury)
15 - Angie (Stereo)
(November 25-30 & December 6-21, 1972, Dynamic Sound Studios, Kingston, Jamaica)
16 - Winter
(November 25-30 & December 6-21, 1972, Dynamic Sound Studios, Kingston, Jamaica)
17 - Silver Train
18 - Dancing With Mr. D
19 - Criss Cross Man

Notes:
It's as good as it can get.
Direct transfer from the original tapes in superb, amazing and excellent Stereo ! Except for track 1 in Mono and Track 17-19 with some background hiss.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Re:

Postby lukpac » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:01 am

lukpac wrote:Satisfaction - Surprisingly, runs a few seconds longer than Hot Rocks 1. If other (lower quality) boots ran longer in the past, I missed it.

Also, it runs at the correct speed (or at least closer to it), while HR1 runs fast. *Also*, the hiss remains constant during the fade on HR1, suggesting the slightly earlier fade was built in to whatever tape MFSL used, and that they didn't fade it early.

Who knows how accurate it is, but this is what the CD claims:

"Tracks 2-19 transferred from original studio tapes on an AMPEX 440-B-2 audio tape recorder > Digidesign 002 audio interface > Pro Tools 24/96 .wav > DVD. Transferred to CD and resampled from 24/96 to 16/44.1 using Peak 6.0 for Mac."

JWB, the Mother you sent me sounded pretty good. I think I'd like to work on The Last Time myself, though.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD