The Beach Boys - Sea of Tunes, etc.

For discussion of those 'grey area' CDs
Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:40 am

Well, I have them. But they are all from n-th generation CDR copies, and we do know that quality degrades that way...

Favorite? The Guess I'm Dumb sessions.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:17 pm

So...while I know physical copies are passe these days, yesterday I found an original (pressed) set of v16 (Good Vibrations) for $30. Yeah...

Anyway, since I know next to nothing about this stuff, has anything else for Good Vibrations surfaced? Anything more/different on the PSS box or other archival releases? Also, it seems odd how some of the takes just cut in and out without any sounds of the tape machine stopping...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:01 am

Cool. I have some sort of pirate of SOT 16...pressed, but clearly a knockoff.

As far as I know, nothing new has surfaced since then, especially for Good Vibrations.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:17 am

I'm assuming this is an "original". I don't see any obvious faults in the artwork, and the insert claims it is 997 out of 1000.

Speaking of pirates, though, the "new" copies of Two's Missing on eBay are (pressed) pirates. I got mine for $11 or something, so I don't care, but people are paying $30 or $40 for them.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:05 pm

Oh...the other comment I was going to make is I'm simply amazed at how much echo/'verb was printed right on the session tapes. It's downright comical listening to the studio chatter in places. There's even one spot where Brian is trying to figure out what's going on (I think with the organ), and eventually realizes it's the echo he's hearing.

J_Partyka

Postby J_Partyka » Fri May 04, 2007 8:58 am

J_Partyka wrote:Sadly, I only have a few of the SOT titles (*cough*). I have the stereo Today/Summer Days twofer, the Alternate Smiley Smile, and disc 1 of the Smile set.

I'm still stuck with just those three discs so far. Does anyone have any recommendations for which SOT titles I ought to track down next?

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sun May 06, 2007 6:38 am

J_Partyka wrote:
J_Partyka wrote:Sadly, I only have a few of the SOT titles (*cough*). I have the stereo Today/Summer Days twofer, the Alternate Smiley Smile, and disc 1 of the Smile set.

I'm still stuck with just those three discs so far. Does anyone have any recommendations for which SOT titles I ought to track down next?
The ones I enjoyed the most:
Vol. 16 & 17 -Smile
Vol. 7 & 8 - Today
Vol. 13 & 14 - Pet Sounds
Vol. 19 - Wild Honey

J_Partyka

Postby J_Partyka » Sun May 06, 2007 7:25 am

Thanks Andreas ... I would like to complete the Smile set and get the Wild Honey one too I think.

oxenholme

Postby oxenholme » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:30 am

I have original aluminium sputtered CDs of all EXCEPT Christmas & Pet Sounds.

Seemingly the label has returned, but I've yet to trace anything...

Jeff T.

Re: The Beach Boys - Sea of Tunes, etc.

Postby Jeff T. » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:03 am

Jeff T. wrote:Here is the quick rundown:

Beach Boys, The - Concert Rehearsals and More 1966-1968 27 tracks, 60m. A+/SB
Beach Boys, The - Heroes and Vibrations
Beach Boys, The - Dumb Angel Rarities, 1,3 & 13, 3CDs
Beach Boys, The - BBC Smile Radio Show 7/13/95
Beach Boys – Time To Get Alone, Silver Shadow Label CD 9316 2-CD set
Beach Boys - Leggo My Ego (Pet Sounds Sessions) 3-CD set
Beach Boys - Smile (Wilson Label Japan) 1-CD
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 1 (1962) The Alternate Surfin’ Safari
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 2 (1963) The Alternate Surfin' USA
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 3 (1963) The Alternate Surfer Girl
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 4 (1963) Miscellaneous Trax
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 5 (1964) Miscellaneous Trax Vol.2
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 6 (1964) Alternate All Summer Long
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 7 (1964) Alternate Beach Boys Today Vol. 1
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 8 (1965) Alternate Beach Boys Today Vol. 2
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 9 (1965) The Alternate Summer Days
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 10 (1965) The Alternate Beach Boys Party
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 11 (1965) Miscellaneous Trax Vol. 3
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 12 (1965) Sloop John B Sessions + Radio Spots
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 13 (1966) Alternate Pet Sounds Album Vol.1
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 14 (1966) Alternate Pet Sounds Album Vol.2
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 15 (1966) Good Vibrations
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 16 (1966-1967) Smile; Sea of Tunes
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 17 (1966-1967) Smile Sessions
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 18 (1967) The Alternate Smiley Smile Album
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 19 (1967) The Alternate Wild Honey
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 20 (1968-1969) Friends, 20/20
Beach Boys - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 21 (1965) Today / Summer Days & Summer Nights

Of course, to most people these discs would be an exercise in horrible tedium, but as an unabashed Beach Boys geek, I find them incredibly fascinating.

Patrick M wrote:Firstly, if you haven't heard the super-rare "fireman's hat" demo of "Luau" on SOT, you haven't lived!

Unfortunately, most of my vines are lossy. :(

J_Partyka wrote:I'm still stuck with just those three discs so far. Does anyone have any recommendations for which SOT titles I ought to track down next?

I started this thread five years ago (wow time flies even when you are not having that much fun). I have recently joined the modern era of flac encodes/music server hard drive. I ripped my entire BBs collection to hard drive tagged and embedded with art, teh works. I think it was 66 discs, much of the collection is from '66 sessions.

Anyway, J_Partyka, or Patrick M if you all still check into this thread, and would like my BBs collection of 66 discs for free, many with artwork, all I am asking for is postage. Media rate would likely be around $5.00, or Priority Mail might be around $12 for a medium flat rate box.

80% of them ripped accurate bit perfect, a few had several songs that did not. And a couple discs come up way off, but all sound good and NOT lossy, or obvious errors.

That's right 66 discs for postage costs only. PM me. If I get no takers here, I'm heading over to the Bootleg Zone to offer them up.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:10 pm

Jeff T. wrote:Patrick M

Patrick Moss has passed away

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:05 pm

lukpac wrote:
Jeff T. wrote:Patrick M

Patrick Moss has passed away

Oh man, that totally sucks. Thanks for letting me know.