Pink Floyd - 17 Feb 1972, Rainbow Theatre, London, UK

For discussion of those 'grey area' CDs
Jeff T.

Pink Floyd - 17 Feb 1972, Rainbow Theatre, London, UK

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:11 pm

This show was recorded by the BBC and was broadcast on the air in the UK anyway. Most of the boots seem to be "not" from the original source, and some are taped from FM with ever present hiss.

The disc titled "Forbidden Samples" seems to be the best one I have heard, but there may be an even better one out there. Anyone know for sure?

Very interesting performance of the Dark Side of the Moon before the Floyd had even finished recording the studio album. Rough and raw in the very best way. It is a soundboard stereo recording at least.

A fresh way to listen to DSOTM even if one is burnt out badly on the material. The flawed vocals acually make for a good underground disc worth returning to.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:02 am

Actually the BBC recording you refer to was recorded in November 1974 in London. The '72 Rainbow Theater show is a (rather incredible sounding) audience tape. The '74 BBC recoding is close to the LP version while the '72 Rainbow Theater shows were very different. I LOVE that funky guitar jam they dropped in favor of On the Run..
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:09 pm

Is that the same audio they play in the Classic Albums Dark Side of The Moon episode?

I also like the jam (albeit briefly featured in the doc).
Craig

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:30 pm

Thanks Chris for the information. It sure sounds like a board recording to me. But anyway, it is a very cool boot.

If 74 Tour is a BBC, it was a weak BBC recording, very weak. Brain Damage is not that one right? Brain Damage is a board recording with no audience, does not sound at all like a BBC.

I did not hear any live DSOTM in the Classic Albums DVD, is there some?
Last edited by Jeff T. on Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:31 pm

Jeff T. wrote:I did not hear any live DSOTM in the Classic Albums DVD, is there some?

A couple of small snippets of "Breathe" and a tease of "The Travel Section."
Craig