The Kinks - Kristmas Concert 77'

For discussion of those 'grey area' CDs
Jeff T.

The Kinks - Kristmas Concert 77'

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:26 pm

This 1977 show recorded in Dec. at Finsbury Park in London is one of the great ones. A much more involving performance than the "One For The Road" album for sure.

Here we have another radio show. This time it was the BBC Radio One which captured this legendary one for the ages. In the US, the Biscuit and Westwood One might have beamed it on FM at several points over the years. But it will always be a BBC in my mind.

I got a double post somehow, my dsl speed was slow so I hit send again like a damn fool. So I will re-edit, and add another comment to keep the reading fresh.

Yes, there is also a Kinks BBC from 72 which has now appeared on video. Quality again top notch. "Lola" from this 72 show is notable.

It seems the golden age of "underground" releases for TRADING this kind of stuff was right when everyone got burners, from about 1999 to 2004, that five year period, everything got upgraded and became available. I was there to get all the Kinks soundboard radio shows.
Last edited by Jeff T. on Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:41 pm

FYI, I just edited your two posts together.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:15 pm

I taped this one, off the air, on one of the repeat BBC Rock Hours that happened a few years later (probably circa 1981). A pretty good setlist as I recall. Waterloo Sunset too, no?

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:21 pm

David R. Modny wrote:I taped this one, off the air, on one of the repeat BBC Rock Hours that happened a few years later (probably circa 1981). A pretty good setlist as I recall. Waterloo Sunset too, no?

That's right Waterloo Sunset is wonderful standout on this recording. I think someone in the audience is tooting a kazoo or something, and Ray tells them to shut up. Thankfully they did not wreck the recording.

Sleepwalker
Life On The Road
Waterloo Sunset
All Day And All Of The Night
Slum Kids
Celluloid Heroes
Get Back In Line
Hard Way
Lola
Alcohol
Skin And Bones
You Really Got Me