Rolling Stones - Brussels 1973 recording

For discussion of those 'grey area' CDs
Jeff T.

Rolling Stones - Brussels 1973 recording

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:15 pm

Hello, I am brand new to the forums here, and noticed that there has not been a post in this section yet. So I thought I would start out by mentioning one of the finest underground recordings to grace the planet.

Of course this particular Stones show has appeared in several variations, with different mixes, and slightly different song lists, and most versions contain some material recorded in London, one thing is certain, this is the "Rolling Stones live" that even people who don't like the Stones love.

The Definitive Brussels release might have the most rocking sounding mix out of the litter. Fade outs between tracks kind of bugs me. I may have to do some of my own work on that one to repair the fades.

Heading For An Overload might be fine for most, as it has a complete song list spread out over a chubby-case double set. I made a single disc version from this with no repeats.

And then I have a genuine King Biscuit Flower Hour CD from 1987 that has nice rich sound, but is short a couple of the good songs, and I read Midnight Rambler has a minute of two editing in the middle of it. I used to put this one on for friends to hear when they would visit. It was fun to see their reaction to this high quality version of the material. It was the best sounding version for a while there.
Last edited by Jeff T. on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:59 pm

I've always been intrigued by this. I remember reading that all of these were from the same (vinyl?) source, and all processed to a different degree. I have no way of confirming that, though.

So the "Definitive" set is actually definitive?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:06 pm

Xenu wrote:I've always been intrigued by this. I remember reading that all of these were from the same (vinyl?) source, and all processed to a different degree. I have no way of confirming that, though.

So the "Definitive" set is actually definitive?

I went back and fixed some spelling errors in my original post. I think the heat today has warped my brain.

Anyway, yes, the material has been accually remixed from multis for various broadcasts. And the so-called "Definitive" set has all the Brussels songs in their best mix so far. They have a different sound. But the fade outs after each song as mentioned is a bummer that needs attention.

Since this is originally a KBFH recording, their are some versions "not" from vinyl. The early version on boot vinyl (TAKRL) titled "Bedspring Symphony" was sourced from FM broadcast. Other later issues were from KBFH sources and were not vinyl, and were pre-FM for sure.