Discussion of CD reissues, including sound quality and track lists
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

The Who - View From A Backstage Pass

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:33 am

I'm not sure where/if this is on the site, but Brian Cady posted this on O&S:

Well, here it is folks! What is on View From A Backstage Pass:

Disc One

Fortune Teller Recorded at The Grande Ballroom, Dearborn Michigan October 12th 1969

Happy Jack, I'm A Boy, A Quick One Recorded at City Hall, Hull February 15th 1970

Magic Bus Recorded at Mammoth Gardens, Denver, Colorado June 9th 1970

I Can't Explain, Substitute, My Wife, Behind Blue Eyes, Bargain, Baby You Don't Do It Recorded at Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, California, December 13th 1971

Disc Two

The Punk And The Godfather, 5.15, Won't Get Fooled Again Recorded at The Capital Centre, Largo, Maryland, December 6th 1973

Young Man Blues, Tattoo, Boris The Spider, Naked Eye/Let's See Action/My Generation Blues Recorded at Charlton Athletic Football Club, South London, May 18th 1974

Squeeze Box, Dreaming From The Waist, Fiddle About, Pinball Wizard, I'm Free, Tommy's Holiday Camp, We're Not Gonna Take It, See Me, Feel Me/Listening To You Recorded at Vetch Field, Swansea, Wales, June 12th 1976

Currently if you click on any links at thewho.com a window pops up with (mono) clips of Tattoo, I'm A Boy, Baby Don't You Do It (this is the same performance as the Join Together b-side) and I'm Free.

Interesting that they used Hull tracks after all.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:09 pm

EDIT: Never mind -- found it. $50 a year. I'll wait and see.

Ryan
Last edited by Rspaight on Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Re: The Who - View From A Backstage Pass

Postby Xenu » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:11 pm

Does this not feel a bit short to anybody?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Chris M

Re: The Who - View From A Backstage Pass

Postby Chris M » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:28 pm

Xenu wrote:Does this not feel a bit short to anybody?

I thought so at first but it looks like each disc will be close to 80 mins. I massively dissapointed in disc 2. I can't beleive they picked the Charlton Young Man Blues and My Generation. Fuck that. The Charlton Young Man Blues is easily the worst version ether. Ditto for My Generation. Anybody else really excited about hearing the Swansea Squeeze Box again?
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:23 pm

I don't have an opinion because I won't listen to anything that comes from the Astley/Thownsend kitchen. It's offensive to my fuckin' ears.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:27 pm

JWB wrote:I don't have an opinion because I won't listen to anything that comes from the Astley/Thownsend kitchen. It's offensive to my fuckin' ears.

You thought the Who's Next DE was bad?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:28 am

lukpac wrote:
JWB wrote:I don't have an opinion because I won't listen to anything that comes from the Astley/Thownsend kitchen. It's offensive to my fuckin' ears.

You thought the Who's Next DE was bad?

Absolutely.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:33 am

JWB wrote:Absolutely.

What was so bad about it? There were a couple spots with unnecessary NR, but on the whole I thought it was pretty good.

Tommy DE too.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:24 pm

Those that have recieved their copies have reported that "Baby Don't Do It" is the same edited version that appears on the b-side single. It appears we can thank Jon Astley for the crappy tracklist..

Produced by Bob Pridden

Compiled and Mastered by Jon Astley

Mixed by Bob Pridden and Sean Witt
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:46 pm

Chris M wrote:Those that have recieved their copies have reported that "Baby Don't Do It" is the same edited version that appears on the b-side single. It appears we can thank Jon Astley for the crappy tracklist..

How is Baby Don't You Do It edited?

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:58 pm

lukpac wrote:
Chris M wrote:Those that have recieved their copies have reported that "Baby Don't Do It" is the same edited version that appears on the b-side single. It appears we can thank Jon Astley for the crappy tracklist..

How is Baby Don't You Do It edited?

I'm not sure but I'm told the bootleg versions of the show reveal that it is edit. I've never heard any of the San Fran '71 boots.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:08 pm

Could be, but it's the first I've heard of it being edited. I'm only aware of the Record Plant versions being edited (and Bargain from the box set).

elcelc

Postby elcelc » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:29 pm

Dunno if this is the same editing job but there was the Polydor LP Rarities Vol II that was about 6:17. When this came out on CD, it was combined with Vol I and Baby got a quick fade out at 4:54. Later versions have it restored to 6:17 although the CD art still reads 4:54. I can't recall how this stacks up against the boot.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:38 am

What elcelc said. My original (doomed PDO pressing plant version) Rarities had the edit. My current (Japan) copy has the long/full version.

I don't recall the specifics of what was edited.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:20 pm

This thing seems to be getting good reviews thus far...?
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911