Universal to release Stones "Rolled Gold" comp.

Discussion of CD reissues, including sound quality and track lists
Aftermath

Universal to release Stones "Rolled Gold" comp.

Postby Aftermath » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:37 pm

From IORR...

(Very surprised someone other than Abkco is releasing Stones material.)

Decca/Universal confirmed the release of Rolled Gold in CD on November 12 in UK and Europe. It could be released in US too, not confirmation yet.

It comes with a new cover art and 40 songs, 12 more than the original 1975 version. Also a 4LP set will be released the same day.

Rolled Gold : The Very Best Of Rolling Stones 2CD

12 November, 2007

Tracklisting :

CD1

1. Come On
2. I Wanne Be Your Man
3. Not Fade Away
4. Carol
5. Tell Me
6. It's All Over Now
7. Little Red Rooster
8. Heart Of Stone
9. Time Is On My Side
10. The Last Time
11. Play With Fire
12. (I Can't Get No)Satisfaction
13. Get Off Of My Cloud
14. I'm Free
15. As Tears Go By
16. Lady Jane
17. Paint It Black
18. Mother's Little Helper
19. 19th Nervous Breakdown
20. Under My Thumb
21. Out Of Time
22. Yesterday's Papers
23. Let's Spend The Night Together
24. Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow?

CD2

1. Ruby Tuesday
2. Dandelion
3. She's A Rainbow
4. We Love You
5. 2000 Light Years From Home
6. Jumpin' Jack Flash
7. Street Fighting Man
8. Sympathy For The Devil
9. No Expectations
10. Let It Bleed
11. Midnight Rambler
12. Gimme Shelter
13. You Can't Always Get What You Want
14. Brown Sugar
15. Honky Tonk Women
16. Wild Horses

The following site has the listing for the 4-LP version, complete with a stereo tracklisting, but it looks a bit suspect. Lists Mother Baby in stereo (!) We'll see...

http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/45792.htm

1.Come On
2.I Wanna Be Your Man
3.Not Fade Away
4.Carol
5.Tell Me Full Version
6.It's All Over Now Stereo Version
7.Little Red Rooster
Side 2
1.Heart Of Stone Stereo Version
2.Time Is On My Side Mono Version 2 / Guitar Intro
3.The Last Time
4.Play With Fire Stereo Version
5.(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction Stereo Remix Version
6 Get Off Of My Cloud Stereo Version
Record 2
Side 1
1.I'm Free
2.As Tears Go By
3.Lady Jane Stereo Version
4.Paint It Black Stereo Version
5.Mother's Little Helper Stereo Version
6.19th Nervous Breakdown
Side 2
1.Under My Thumb
2.Out Of Time Long Version
3.Yesterday's Papers
4.Let's Spend The Night Together Stereo Version
5.Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow? Stereo Version
Record 3
Side 1
1.Ruby Tuesday Stereo Version
2.Dandelion Stereo Version
3.She's A Rainbow Stereo Full Version / With Intro
4.We Love You Stereo Version
Side 2
1.2000 Light Years From Home Stereo Version
2.Jumping Jack Flash
3.Street Fighting Man Stereo Version
4.Sympathy For The Devil
Record 4
Side 1
1.No Expectations Stereo Version
2.Let It Bleed
3.Midnight Rambler
4.Gimme Shelter
Side 2
1.You Can't Always Get What You Want Single Version
2.Brown Sugar
3.Honky Tonk Women Stereo Version
4.Wild Horses

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:26 pm

It will sure be interesting when more details surface. Odd about not only Have You Seen Your Mother, but Play With Fire and Get Off Of My Cloud - and no notation on The Last Time or 19th Nervous. Also strange that Time Is On My Side would be the guitar version in mono.

That said, a few other sites list the same info...

Also this!

http://www.gigwise.com/news/38029/rolli ... n-usb-card

Rolling Stones To Release 'New' Album On USB Card
To embrace digital revolution...

By: Jason Gregory on 24/10/2007 11:49:05

The Rolling Stones are to release an updated version of their early retrospective, ‘Rolled Gold,’ on a number of new formats, including USB stick

Originally released in 1975, the updated ‘Rolled Gold+’ – released on November 5th - will feature all the original tracks as well as twelve that were not included on the retrospectives initial release.

Among the album’s forty tracks will be classic hits, ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,’ ‘Jumpin’ Jack Flash,’ and ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’ – which was written for the band by John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

As well as a traditional 2-CD, ‘Rolled Gold+’ will become the first album to be released on USB memory card in the UK.

It will also be available on an environmentally friendly deluxe double jakebox pop-up case and traditional digital download formats.

'Rolled Gold+' will feature extensive liner notes by music journalist and Rolling Stones expert Pierre Perrone, as well as a track by track breakdown of the songs by a number of music industry figureheads.

And:

http://jukebo.cx/archives/2007/10/22/ro ... lled-gold/

Rolling Stones - Rolled Gold+

Originally released in 1975, Rolled Gold was a greatest hits set of Rolling Stones early years, packed with countless classics that are still concert favourites today. Rolled Gold+ is an updated version, including 12 more tracks not on the original release.

Why? Yes, OK, the original compilation was never issued on CD, but this is the Rolling Stones! There are 2,458 compilations of their hits, from any ‘era’ you care to give a name. In fact, there are far more from the early years than from the latter. There is absolutely no need for another one. This does collect 40 of their hits in one place, which is convenient, but you could achieve the same feat with, for example, The Singles Collection, including b-sides, which most fans probably have already done.

The size is a problem as well. If you’re not a Stones fan, and just want the best stuff, you’re far better off with Forty Licks, which includes 20 tracks from the early years on one disc, and 20 from the latter on another. If you really want as many as 40 songs from the same period, surely you’re better off with the proper albums?

Universal Music TV are breaking a bit of ground with this release in terms of distribution. After releasing it on iTunes at the end of October, the physical CD and four-record 12″ vinyl editions will be released in November alongside a USB memory stick version; an industry first. Again, why? Unless it’s cheaper than buying your own USB stick and the mp3s from iTunes? But then I doubt the stick with the album on will be big enough to hold anything else. And what can you do with it? You can’t plug it into your portable mp3 player. All you can do is put it in your computer and load the tracks into your mp3 player software, exactly the same as you do with iTunes. The regular CD comes in a double jewel case or, for extra money (??) in a Jakebox. A what? It’s a cardboard pop-up book with CDs in. Seriously.

There’s no point talking about the music here. It’s been done countless times before for all the other releases that have preceded this one. Suffice to say it’s about as comprehensive as it gets for a set of early Stones songs, without buying the albums anyway. As a product though, it’s completely pointless unless you’re a rock fan without a Stones collection of some sort, who cares enough to want as many as 40 songs from the same period of their career, but not quite enough to want the albums. Thank you both for reading.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:33 pm

Alas, too good to be true:

http://www.7digital.com/artists/the-rolling-stones-(2)/rolled-gold-plus/

Samples in stereo (or not, as the case may be). Seems like just the SACD versions, although it *does* seem as if Ruby Tuesday is correct.
Last edited by lukpac on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:57 am

The link was dead by the time I tried it this morning, but I can't say I'm surprised at all by your findings.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:05 am

It isn't dead, but I didn't notice that phpBB mangled the link when I posted it. I can't get it to work, but just copy and paste the whole thing.

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:32 am

Ah, got it.

Oh well...

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:29 pm

I can't believe you locked that thread. Hmph.

Well, consider this confirmation of the pre-release samplage.

-D
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:52 pm

Xenu wrote:I can't believe you locked that thread. Hmph.

Well, consider this confirmation of the pre-release samplage.

Yeah, I'm a bastard.

I wish that damn stereo tape wasn't so elusive.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:22 pm

I'm not near my discs, but I wonder if the "new" Ruby Tuesday is just pulled from one of the older discs. It seems as if no new mastering was involved here on first glance.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:52 pm

Xenu wrote:I'm not near my discs, but I wonder if the "new" Ruby Tuesday is just pulled from one of the older discs. It seems as if no new mastering was involved here on first glance.

You actually bought this one?

I'd think at the very least they'd have to do something to match the volume of the other tracks.