Piper 40th Anniversary 3-CD set

Discussion of CD reissues, including sound quality and track lists
Rspaight

Piper 40th Anniversary 3-CD set

Postby Rspaight » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:27 pm

Tuesday 5th June: Floyd Lays Plans For Piper

To mark the 40th anniversary of the original release of Pink Floyd's first album 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn', a special edition is planned for release via EMI Records on Tues 28th August in North America, and Monday September 3rd in Europe.

The packaging, designed by Storm Thorgerson, resembles a cloth-covered book, and holds 3 CD discs, along with a 12-page reproduction Syd Barrett notebook. Discs 1 and 2 will contain the full 'Piper' album, represented in both stereo and mono versions. Both have been newly remastered by James Guthrie. Disc 3 includes bonus tracks, including the following: all the Pink Floyd singles from 1967, ('Arnold Layne', 'See Emily Play', and 'Apples And Oranges'), plus the B sides 'Candy And A Current Bun' and 'Paintbox'. Other tracks are a version of 'Interstellar Overdrive' - Take 2 of the original recording sessions, previously only available on an EP in France - and the 1967 stereo version of 'Apples And Oranges'.

Other activities surrounding the 40th anniversary celebrations will be announced in due course.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:37 pm

If that's the full tracklisting, then this will be the lamest deluxe edition EVER MADE.

Where are:

The 1965 Demo
The 1966 "Interstellar" Demo
The "Interstellar/Nicks Boogie" soundtrack
Something from the "Arnold/Candy" multi-track that exists
"Candy & A Currant Bun" with original lyrics
The "Piper" BBC Session
The alternate mix of "Matilda Mother"
The live tapes and piles of shit that Floyd are hoarding

Also, the fact that "Apples" is appearing on this set makes me wonder if they will be doing a "Saucerful" deluxe, and if we'll ever see "Vegetable Man", "Scream Thy Last Scream", "Untitled", "In The Beechwoods", "John Latham", the second 1967 BBC Session, etc...

...fucking wankers...

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:11 am

I'd be glad if they got the mono mix right this time. And I am glad I sold off my mono CD on ebay a little while back. The box looked like it was designed by Hallmark cards. And we all know it sounded weak in ever way.
And Floyd is so far behind on issuing rare stuff, I'll take anything I can get.