Japanese Who mini-LPs (new)

Discussion of CD reissues, including sound quality and track lists
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Japanese Who mini-LPs (new)

Postby lukpac » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:24 am

This is interesting...Polydor in Japan has reissued two '60s comps that have never been on CD before:

- I'm A Boy
- Exciting The Who

Exciting is apparently all mono, but according to Fang, I'm A Boy is stereo. I *think* everything was in stereo on there originally, sans Circles and See My Way, which *hopefully* means the original stereo mixes of all of AQO, sans So Sad About Us and the title track (both of which are in stereo on the old MCA CD). This would also be the first CD issue of the original stereo mix of In The City.

I think I've seen them for around $23 a few places. Haven't ordered yet...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:39 pm

I mean, do we think the chance that these are "unique" masterings is fairly high?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:41 pm

Xenu wrote:I mean, do we think the chance that these are "unique" masterings is fairly high?

Sounds like it.

He says Boris isn't in stereo...not yet sure what else isn't.

A friend of mine *might* have these on LP. I should see if I can grab them and find out what the mono/stereo lineup is.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JohnS

Postby JohnS » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:02 am

I bought the Japanese mini-LP version of the 2CD deluxe edition of My Generation - both discs came in replicas of the UK Brunswick and US Decca album sleeves, although the tracklisting and running order of the CDs is identical to the regular (UK/US) 2CD release.
But as a bonus, and I think this was a limited edition, also included in the package was a *third* mini-LP sleeve, of the 'Exciting The Who' album as seen above. Just the sleeve on its own, no third disc. A pretty weird bonus item, but nice to have.

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:37 pm

I have the 2 Mini LP sleeve discs but unfortunately do not have the vinyl versions to compare them to.
Barry

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Japanese Who mini-LPs (new)

Postby lukpac » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Discussion here.