Johnny Cash - San Quentin (complete this time?)

Discussion of CD reissues, including sound quality and track lists
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Johnny Cash - San Quentin (complete this time?)

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:15 pm

Sweet. Hopefully the CD is totally remixed, rather than mix of original and new mixes we got on the 2000 CD.

http://www.musictap.net/

Columbia and Legacy will release a brilliant 2CD Legacy Edition (never enough of those) for Johnny Cash of his At San Quentin classic. It will contain 30 tracks, 11 of them previously unreleased. And that's the CD. the second disc, a DVD, will enhance the set with the film, Johnny Cash in San Quentin, the original 60-minute 1969 documentary produced in the UK. It will feature the complete performance of the high-charting "My Name Is Sue." Additionally, there will be interviews with guards and inmates of the institution. This releases on October 31.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

MK

Postby MK » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:25 pm

Sweeeeeet. I was gonna buy the previous reissue, but I'll be getting THIS one instead.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:39 pm

I've already got the current version, but this looks like a worthwhile upgrade.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:30 am

Fucking hell, the previous "definitive" San Quentin is barely five years old.

I wonder if the new edition will include Cash's warning to the sound crew not to bend over. Interesting what they left on that TV show that's never made it to CD before.
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:14 pm

I just got the previous remaster last month. Figures!! :x

Looks like a worthwhile upgrade though
Barry

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:52 pm

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article ... 1003155652

Legacy Takes Cash Back To 'San Quentin'
September 22, 2006, 11:45 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Columbia/Legacy will on Nov. 17 release a two-CD/one-DVD edition of Johnny Cash's "Johnny Cash at San Quentin," originally released in 1969 as a 10-song LP. The new package includes 13 previously unissued tracks as well as the 1969 documentary "Johnny Cash in San Quentin," produced for British television.

One of the artist's most beloved collections, "San Quentin" was Cash's first No. 1 on the Billboard album chart, as well as his fifth No. 1 on the Country Albums tally. It also yielded one of his best-known singles, "A Boy Named Sue."

The previously unissued songs from include Cash's duet with June Carter Cash on "Jackson," performances from rockabilly legend Carl Perkins on "Blue Suede Shoes," "The Outside Looking In" and "Restless," plus several songs from the Carter Family. The DVD includes interviews with prisoners and guards who were present at the event.

Here is the track listing for "Johnny Cash at San Quentin":

Disc one:
"Blue Suede Shoes," Carl Perkins
"Flowers on the Wall," the Statler Brothers
"The Last Thing on My Mind," the Carter Family
June Carter Cash talks to the audience
"Wildwood Flower," the Carter Family
"Big River," Johnny Cash
"I Still Miss Someone," Johnny Cash
"Wreck of the Old 97," Johnny Cash
"I Walk the Line," Johnny Cash"
Medley: "The Long Black Veil/Give My Love To Rose," Johnny Cash
"Folsom Prison Blues," Johnny Cash
"Orange Blossom Special," Johnny Cash
"Jackson," Johnny and June Carter Cash
"Darlin Companion," Johnny and June Carter Cash
"Break My Mind," the Carter Family
"I Don't Know Where I'm Bound," Johnny Cash
"Starkville City Jail," Johnny Cash

Disc two:
"San Quentin," Johnny Cash
"San Quentin," Johnny Cash
"Wanted Man," Johnny Cash
"Restless," Carl Perkins
"A Boy Named Sue," Johnny Cash
"Blistered," Johnny Cash
"(There'll Be) Peace in the Valley," Johnny Cash
"The Outside Looking In," Carl Perkins
"Less of Me," the Statler Brothers
"Ring of Fire," Johnny Cash with the Carter Family
"He Turned the Water into Wine," Johnny Cash, Carter Family, Statler Brothers, Carl Perkins
"Daddy Sang Bass," Johnny Cash, Carter Family, Statler Brothers, Carl Perkins
"The Old Account Was Settled Long Ago," Johnny Cash, Carter Family, Statler Brothers, Carl Perkins
"Medley: "Folsom Prison Blues/I Walk The Line/Ring Of Fire/The Rebel-Johnny Yuma"
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:52 am

Oh Christ.

This Legacy Edition represents the performance of the Johnny Cash Show Review as it unfolded on February 24, 1969 at San Quentin Prison. The incredible evening was originally captured on one-inch, eight-track tape by recording engineers Neil Wilburn and Bob Breault, manning Columbia Records' West Coast mobile recording unit. This new set showcases this historic event accurately and chronologically; the complete set of vintage masters has been painstakingly archived and reassembled in original running order. Therefore - with the exception of a few songs that fell victim to tape run-outs that evening - this edition now presents the show in its most complete form possible.

The sound is fine, I guess, but as usual, the mixes are all over the map. Disc two is actually fairly solid, I guess, but the drums are all over the place, especially on disc one - Wreck of the Old 97 still sounds completely bizarre. I don't have the 2000 disc in front of me at the moment, but for parts of the song, the drums are basically dead center, and then they move to hard right. Sometimes the applause is essentially mono, and sometimes it's wide "in the audience" stereo (faked?).

It would be interesting to know what's been remixed and what's a holdover from the original LP. The 2000 CD apparently only used remixes for the unreleased songs. The new set says this:

Produced for Legacy Recordings by Bob Irwin
Mastered by Vic Anesini at Sony Music Studios, NY
Additional tracks mixed by Richard King and Vic Anesini at Sony Music Studios, NY

The booklet is pretty nice, but the whole thing comes in a longbox sized package, and the CD/DVD trays are fixed inside.

One other thing I've noticed - at the beginning of Long Black Veil/Give My Love To Rose, he's talking about "rot gut" in "tall purple glasses". I know I've never heard the medley before, but I'm sure that banter is on the 2000 CD. WTF?

wasakithis

Postby wasakithis » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:08 pm

i saw at Ameoba (huuuge Hollywood record shop) San Quentin "complete" box-set with 2 CDs and a DVD of the original television special... i wonder though if the DVD is released seperately. i want some live prison footage!

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:47 am

wasakithis wrote:ii wonder though if the DVD is released seperately. i want some live prison footage!

Not to my knowledge.