Chuck Berry on CD

Discussion of CD reissues, including sound quality and track lists
Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:40 am

So has anyone anything interesting to say about those Chuck Berry samples? I haven't had the time to listen closely yet, but I didn't notice big differences right away. The Great Twenty-Eight does not compete badly in this comparison.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:29 am

Haven't really had time yet. I think I do have a couple of tracks from those Vintage Music discs if anyone cares.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

MK

Postby MK » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:20 am

Check out "Maybellene" again, I think there's a signficant difference between the Chess Box and Anthology mastering. The Chess Box version is much more open and the Anthology more compressed. Listen to it a couple of times, focusing on an individual instrument each time - the cymbals, then the bass, then the vocals, etc....I didn't listen to the other tracks I posted that carefully, but the differences didn't seem that noticeable. At least, they weren't immediately apparent like they were with "Maybellene."
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:21 pm

MK wrote:Check out "Maybellene" again, I think there's a signficant difference between the Chess Box and Anthology mastering.

In the three samples that you posted, the second one always sounds compressed and harsher, but also with more bottom end. I guess I prefer the G28 in all three cases because it sounds less compressed than the Anthology and more balanced than the slightly bright Chess Box mastering.

However, School Days has more prominent noise in the intro on the G28.

JohnS

Postby JohnS » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:57 am

lukpac wrote:Anyone have "More Rock & Roll Rarities"? Was there a third set as well?

There WAS a third volume, called 'Missing Berries - Rarities Vol.3'
I had it once, it was stolen in a burglary, and I never replaced it partly cos I've never seen a copy since
http://www.answers.com/topic/missing-berries