Discussion of CD reissues, including sound quality and track lists
stevef

George Harrison: "Living In The Material World"

Postby stevef » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:14 pm

George Harrison
• "Living In The Material World"
(original release date May 30, 1973)
Capitol, September 26

George Harrison's Living in the Material World will be reissued on CD and in a deluxe CD/DVD package Sept. 26 via Capitol/EMI. The remastered album will feature two additional tracks, the 1971 B-side "Deep Blue" and "Miss O'Dell," the B-side for "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)."

The CD will be issued in two formats. Both packages will contain the
album, which has been re-mastered at Abbey Road Studios from the original
analog tapes. The new version also includes two additional tracks, "Deep
Blue" (originally a B-side from 1971) and "Miss O'Dell" (the B-side to
"Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)").

The single-disc package's jewel case will contain a 12-page booklet
with lyrics and extra photographs.

The special limited edition package will house the CD and a companion DVD with an expanded 40-page booklet.

The set's exclusive DVD features:
• Rare video footage (in stereo and 5.1) of George performing "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)" from his 1991 Japanese tour with Eric Clapton.
• A mini-feature edited from film commissioned by George in 1973 of the album's production in Britain and America.
• Previously unreleased versions of "Miss O'Dell" and "Sue Me, Sue You Blues" set to visuals of unseen archival material.
• Audio of George Harrison talking about the tracks.
• Excerpts from new audio interviews with musicians on the album, including Ringo Starr.

Historical Notes -- Kevin Howlett

Living In The Material World was George's second solo album of new songs following the Beatles' break-up in 1970 and its lyrical focus revealed his continuing mission to explore spiritual themes. Many people would hear his message. Five weeks after its release in May 1973, the LP and its single 'Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)' simultaneously occupied the number one positions on the US albums and singles charts.

The success of the album continued a winning streak that had begun with the release of All Things Must Pass. Featuring the worldwide number one 'My Sweet Lord', the triple LP set had topped the US album chart at the beginning of 1971. Later that year, George masterminded two remarkable concerts at Madison Square Garden in New York to help raise awareness and money for the starving refugees from Bangladesh. The commercial success of the Concert For Bangladesh live album was emphatic and unprecedented -- another triple LP box set that was a best seller around the world -- and it won an 'Album of the Year' Grammy Award.

For Living In The Material World, George assembled a core group in the Apple Studio in London consisting of Nicky Hopkins and Gary Wright on keyboards, Klaus Voormann on bass and Jim Keltner on drums. They recorded backing tracks which received varying degrees of enhancement through subsequent overdubs. The most complex musical arrangement on the album is heard on the title track. Having played together at the Concert For Bangladesh, Ringo Starr and Jim Keltner perform their 'double drums' on 'Living In The Material World' and the brass parts were played by Jim Horn with help from Klaus Voormann on tenor saxophone. The gentler sections of the song feature tabla virtuoso Zakir Hussein and Jim Horn on flute and recorders.

The slide guitar playing heard throughout All Things Must Pass had quickly become associated with the George Harrison 'solo' sound and it is equally prominent on Living In The Material World. The exquisite dual harmony slide guitar parts on 'Give Me Love' were integral to that track's gentle power and on 'Sue Me, Sue You Blues', George revealed a bluesy side to his playing -- more bottleneck than Hawaiian in its style.

The four gentle ballads -- 'Be Here Now', 'The Day The World Gets Round', 'The Light That Has Lighted The World' and 'Who Can See It' -- are heartfelt reflections on how to live a spiritual life in the turmoil of the material world -- 'where there's so little chance to experience soul'. The joyous 'Don't Let Me Wait Too Long' picks up on the 'really want to see you' theme of 'My Sweet Lord'. The spiritual nature of these songs is mirrored in the artwork on the gatefold LP sleeve, which featured an illustration from the Bhagavad-Gita.

At the foundation of Living In The Material World are George's unwavering sincerity and integrity. These are rare qualities in mainstream popular music and should be treasured and nurtured wherever they are discovered. This is a welcome and timely re-issue.
[url]
http://www.georgeharrison.com[/url]

1. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)
2. Sue Me, Sue You Blues
3. Light That Had Lighted the World
4. Don't Let Me Wait Too Long
5. Who Can See It
6. Living in the Material World
7. Lord Loves the One (That Loves the Lord)
8. Be Here Now
9. Try Some Buy Some
10. Day the World Gets 'Round
11. That Is All
12. Deep Blue*
13. Miss O'Dell*
*bonus tracks

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:20 am

I'm really looking forward to this. I think the album is still somewhat somewhat underrated. Hopefully this won't get the usual Abbey Rd treatment. In any event it's a must buy for the DVD..
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:13 am

Chris M wrote:I'm really looking forward to this. I think the album is still somewhat somewhat underrated. Hopefully this won't get the usual Abbey Rd treatment. In any event it's a must buy for the DVD..

I had the cassette when I was 13 years old. Really tough going for a kid into Schools Out, Made in Japan, and Aladin Sane. But I would like to revisit and hope for the best. That hit single is beautiful, and the rest of the album............

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:12 am

Jeff T. wrote:
Chris M wrote:I'm really looking forward to this. I think the album is still somewhat somewhat underrated. Hopefully this won't get the usual Abbey Rd treatment. In any event it's a must buy for the DVD..

I had the cassette when I was 13 years old. Really tough going for a kid into Schools Out, Made in Japan, and Aladin Sane. But I would like to revisit and hope for the best. That hit single is beautiful, and the rest of the album............

I think it's somewhat of a minor classic. I rate Give Me Love, Don't Let Me Wait Too Long, Who Can See It, Try Some Buy Some, and The Day The World Gets 'Round highly. Those songs still have a smidgeon of that Beatle magic that was absent on his later LP's..

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:30 pm

Keep it free from ... birth.
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:27 pm

No relation.

Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

stevef

Postby stevef » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:29 am

Chris M wrote:I think it's somewhat of a minor classic. I rate Give Me Love, Don't Let Me Wait Too Long, Who Can See It, Try Some Buy Some, and The Day The World Gets 'Round highly. Those songs still have a smidgeon of that Beatle magic that was absent on his later LP's..

I would also add "Sue Me, Sue You Blues", "The Light That Has Lighted The World", and the title track "Living In The Material World" as great Harrisongs too! The whole Side 1 of the the vinyl release was always a such great listen.

I do wish they would have added the studio version of "Bangladesh" to this expanded remaster. Since it has added "Deep Blue" (the b-side of "Bangladesh"), it seems like the natural place to include it.
IMO this is the only disappointment to what looks like a very exciting release. The packaging alone looks incredible!

I wonder who is remastering the tracks...?

Steve

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:15 am

The Heartbeats Never Did Benefits
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:11 pm

I like this album too, but man, you can practically hear the water draining from the well as you listen. I wonder if he ever wished he'd paced himself a little instead of throwing all those Beatles-era songs out on the market all at once via 'All Things.' It was a mighty steep drop from 'Material World' to 'Dark Horse.'
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:57 pm

I agree. Dark Horse is when he started using all those ultra slick LA session musicians for some reason. He still wrote the occasional good tune but the execution left much to be desired IMO..
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant