First two Pretenders albums expanded...

Discussion of CD reissues, including sound quality and track lists
stevef

First two Pretenders albums expanded...

Postby stevef » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:43 am

Rhino Expands First Two Pretenders Albums

August 03, 2006, 12:30 PM ET

Jill Menze, N.Y./ Billboard

Expanded versions of the Pretenders' first two albums, "Pretenders" and "Pretenders II," will be released via Rhino on Oct. 3. Both reissues feature bonus discs with live cuts, demos and previously unreleased tracks.

Chrissie Hynde

The bonus disc included with the band's 1980 debut features unreleased songs such as the 1978 demos of album tracks "Brass in Pocket," "The Wait," "Kid," "The Phone Call," and "Stop Your Sobbing." The set also includes live performances of "Precious," "Tattooed Love Boys" and "Sabre Dance."

The second disc of "Pretenders II," originally released in 1981, features several songs that were originally included on the promo-only release of "Pretenders Live at the Santa Monica Civic," such as "Talk of the Town," "Birds of Paradise," "Message of Love," and "Bad Boys Get Spanked." The set also includes an unreleased demo version of "Talk of the Town," the guitar version outtake of "I Go To Sleep," and the radio mix outtake of "Pack It Up."

"Pretenders" and "Pretenders II" were the only albums to feature the original quartet of vocalist Chrissie Hynde, guitarist James Honeyman-Scott, bassist Pete Farndon and drummer Martin Chambers. Farndon was booted from the band in June 1982 while struggling with drug addiction, and Honeyman-Scott died of a drug overdose two days later. Farndon himself died in 1983.

As previously reported, the latest incarnation of the Pretenders will be honored on the next episode of VH1 Classic's "Decades Rock Live," where the group will perform as well alongside Iggy Pop, Garbage's Shirley Manson, Incubus and Kings of Leon. The show will be taped on Aug. 11 at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, N.J.

stevef

Postby stevef » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:47 am

No, I don't know exactly why Rhino is only initially releasing the first two Pretenders albums as expanded remasters.

The plan was to follow-up the Pirate Radio boxset with expanded remasters of the entire Pretenders catalogue.

So I imagine the rest of the CDs will eventually show up too... maybe Rhino is only releasing a few at a time...?

Steve

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:50 am

But this is certainly a good start.
Craig

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:54 am

Beatlesfan03 wrote:But this is certainly a good start.

Or perhaps a good start and a good end. The only other Pretenders LP that's worth listening to is Learning to Crawl. If you have a singles comp, there's no reason to bother with anything else post-1983.

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:43 pm

Their career was "hit and miss" after Learning To Crawl but I would be interested in the bonus material on the other discs should they come to be.
Barry

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:36 pm

Do we have the complete tracklists for the these? The Billboard article only lists 7 tracks for disc 2 of the second album. There has to be more than that right?
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:23 am

Jeff wrote:Or perhaps a good start and a good end. The only other Pretenders LP that's worth listening to is Learning to Crawl. If you have a singles comp, there's no reason to bother with anything else post-1983.

Agreed.
Craig

elcelc

Postby elcelc » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:31 pm

Still no Swinging London or Nervous But Shy? Yeah, they're throwaways but isn't that what expanded versions are all about?

Right after Learning To Crawl is when I lost interest in the band. One of the singles from that had a b-side written by Martin Chambers that was pretty cool- Fast Or Slow (The Law's The Law). Wouldn't mind seeing that released.

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:51 am

Do we know those two won't be included? Agreed, they're crap, but if you're gonna go all in, go all in.

I'd buy an expanded 'Pretenders II' just to get "In the Sticks."
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:37 pm

from musictap...

Rhino Records will also revisit The Pretenders with Expanded and Remastered reissues of their first two Sire albums. Pretenders and Pretenders II will be reissued on October 3.

The debut Sire release Pretenders will be 2CD and will contain extras in demo versions of "The Wait," "I Can't Control Myself," "Brass In Pocket," "The Kid," "Stop Your Sobbing," and "Tequila," along with live versions of "Sabre Dance," "Tattooed Love Boys," "The Phone Call," "Mystery Achievement" (BBC), and "I Need Somebody" (BBC).
Remaining disc 2 tracks will include "Swinging London," "Nervous But Shy," "Porcelain," and an outtake of "Cuban Slide."

Pretenders II will be a 2CD reissue as well and will feature bonus tracks in "Talk of the Town" as a demo, a radio mix outtake of "Pack It Up," and a guitar version outtake of "I Go To Sleep."
The other bonus tracks are live cuts and feature "Higher and Higher," "Brass in Pocket," "Day After Day," "Kid," "Private Life," "Stop Your Sobbing," "Bad Boys Get Spanked," "Up the Neck," "The English Roses," "Birds of Paradise," "Talk of the Town," "Louie Louie," "Message of Love," "The Adultress," and "The Wait."
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

MK

Postby MK » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:23 pm

Do the bonuses for the debut's reissue already circulate? The current CD is allegedly a flat transfer (at least, I think Hoffman said it was), so I'm not sure I'd buy this for demos and BBC performances, not unless those outtakes are really good.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:40 am

Here's the supposed track list.

PRETENDERS
Track Listing
Disc 1
1. "Precious"
2. "The Phone Call"
3. "Up The Neck"
4. "Tattooed Love Boys"
5. "Space Invader"