Bob Dylan - Modern Times

Discussion of new CD releases
MK

Bob Dylan - Modern Times

Postby MK » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:54 pm

Is anybody excited about this? I'm a huge Dylan fan, but I don't have high expectations, even with the alleged reports of "at least three masterpieces" and Uncut's 5-star review. He hasn't been great live as his singing has been pretty bad, his current band's pretty good but not great, and listening to the leaked clips, it sounds like Love & Theft taken down a few notches in energy. The words are hard to judge, but there are a few clunky lines, like one with a reference to a "lazy slut" or something like that.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:39 pm

I haven't heard much about it. I'm sort of in the same position as you are -- I can't help but think that Bob doesn't have three great albums in a row in him any more (and hasn't since 1966).

Frankly, at this point I'm hoping it's not a crash on the order of Under The Red Sky, and more a gentle landing like John Wesley Harding.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

MK

Postby MK » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:43 am

The two leaked tracks sound pretty good. I actually have strong hopes for this one. Not expecting the 5-star fucking masterpiece UNCUT and ROLLING STONE are claiming, but a solid 4-star album.

Anyway, here's the list of rarities to the iTunes package, leaked today. Not impressed.

I Was Young When I Left Home 5:23
(Traditional)
Recorded 1961
Released 2001
From the bonus disc for “Love and Theft”, Columbia 86076
Produced by Jack Frost

Wade In The Water 2:59
(Traditional)
Recorded 1961
Released 1994
From “The Minnesota Hotel Tape”. Previously released on Bakhalls Litterara Roster (The Ambush’s Literary Voices) compilation CD, given away with an issue of the Swedish literary magazine Bakhall.
Produced by:

Handsome Molly (Live) 2:47
(Traditional)
Recorded 1962
Released 2005
From Bob Dylan Live At The Gaslight 1962, Sony BMG Music Entertainment
Produced for issue by Jeff Rosen and Steve Berkowitz

Baby, Please Don’t Go 1:57
(Joe Williams)
Recorded 1962
Released 2005
Recorded during the sessions for The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan. From the iTUNES exclusive bonus tracks for The Bootleg Series Volume 7: No Direction Home – The Soundtrack
Produced by John Hammond

The Times They Are A-Changin’ (Live) 4:03
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1963
Released 2005
From the limited edition CD Bob Dylan Live At Carnegie Hall 1963 Columbia Legacy CSK 17254

Ballad Of Hollis Brown (Live) 6:02
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1963
Released 2005
From the limited edition CD Bob Dylan Live At Carnegie Hall 1963 Columbia Legacy CSK 17254

Boots Of Spanish Leather (Live) 5:38
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1963
Released 2005

Lay Down Your Weary Tune (Live) 5:02
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1963
Released 2005

North Country Blues (Live) 4:12
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1963
Released 2005

With God On Our Side (Live) 6:50
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1963
Released 2005

Mr. Tambourine Man (Live) 7:22
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1964, live at The Newport Folk Festival
Released 2005
From the iTUNES exclusive bonus tracks for The Bootleg Series Volume 7: No Direction Home – The Soundtrack

To Ramona 4:28
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1965, live at The Oval, City Hall, Sheffield, England
Released 2000
From the DVD release of D. A. Pennebaker’s 1965 film Don’t Look Back.

Outlaw Blues (Acoustic Version) 2:16
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1965
Released 2005
Recorded during the sessions for Bringing It All Back Home. From the iTUNES exclusive bonus tracks for The Bootleg Series Volume 7: No Direction Home – The Soundtrack
Produced by Tom Wilson

Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues (Live) 5:37
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded in Liverpool, England, May 1966
Non-LP version, from the B-side of Columbia single # 43683 “I Want You”
Produced by Bob Johnston

I Ain’t Got No Home (Live) 3:45
(Woody Guthrie)
Recorded 1968
Released 1972
From A Tribute To Woody Guthrie, CBS Records
Produced by Harold Leventhal

The Grand Coulee Dam (Live) 2:56
(Woody Guthrie)
Recorded 1968
Released 1972
From A Tribute To Woody Guthrie, CBS Records
Produced by Harold Leventhal

Went To See The Gypsy 3:32
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1970
Released: 2004
Recorded during the sessions for New Morning. Previously available as an iTUNES single.
Produced by Bob Johnston

George Jackson (Acoustic Version) 3:37
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1971
Released 1971
From the Columbia Single #45516
Produced by

George Jackson (Big Band Version) 5:34
Recorded 1971
Released 1971
From the Columbia Single #45516
Produced by

People Get Ready 2:50
(Curtis Mayfield)
Recorded 1975
Released 1978
From the Columbia Promo EP 4 Songs From Renaldo & Clara, Columbia AS 422
Produced by:

Never Let Me Go (Live) 2:49
(Joseph Wade Scott)
Recorded 1975
Released 1978
From the Columbia Promo EP 4 Songs From Renaldo & Clara, Columbia AS 422
Produced by:

Rita May 3:09
(Bob Dylan-Jacques Levy)
Recorded 1976
Released 1977
Non-LP B-side of the Columbia Single # 10454, “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again”
Produced by Don Devito and Bob Dylan

Dead Man, Dead Man (Live) 3:36
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1981, Live in New Orleans
Released 1989
Non LP B-side of the Columbia Single # xxxxx, “Everything Is Broken”
Produced by:

I And I (Reggae Mix) 5:35
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1981
Released
From the album Is It Rolling Bob, Sanctuary/RAS 06078-89914-2
Produced by Bob Dylan & Mark Knopfler. Remixed by Doctor Dread
P 2004

Night After Night 2:50
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1986
Released 1987
From the Soundtrack, Hearts Of Fire, Columbia 40870
Produced by Beau Hill

Pretty Boy Floyd 4:24
(Woody Guthrie)
Recorded 1987
Released 1988
From: Soundtrack to “Folkways: A Vision Shared-Tribute To Woody Guthrie & Leadbelly”, Columbia 44034
Produced by
P 1988

Cold Irons Bound (Live) 6:49
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1997, live at the El Rey Theater, Los Angeles, CA.
Released 1998
From: B-side of various European CBS “Love Sick” singles. Also released as a bonus track included with the Australian “Time Out Of Mind”, limited tour edition.
Produced by:
P

Born In Time (Live) 5:19
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 1998, live at the New Jersey Center For The Performing Arts, Newark, NJ
Released
From: B-side of various European CBS “Love Sick” singles. Also released as a bonus track included with the Australian “Time Out Of Mind”, limited tour edition.
Produced by:
P

Somebody Touched Me (Live) 2:42
(Traditional)
Recorded 2000, live in Portsmouth, England
Previously unreleased in the U.S. Available on “Bob Dylan Live, 1961-2000, Thirty-Nine Years Of Great Concert Performances”, Sony Japan SRCS 2438
Produced by:
P

Country Pie (Live) 2:47
(Bob Dylan)
Previously unreleased in the U.S. Available on “Bob Dylan Live, 1961-2000, Thirty-Nine Years Of Great Concert Performances”, Sony Japan SRCS 2438
Produced by:

Things Have Changed (Live) 5:52
(Bob Dylan)
Previously Unreleased in the U.S. Available on “Bob Dylan Live, 1961-2000, Thirty-Nine Years Of Great Concert Performances”, Sony Japan SRCS 2438
Produced by:

Return To Me 2:20
(Daniel Di Minno-Carmen Lombardo)
Recorded
Released 2001
From: “The Sopranos Soundtrack”. Columbia/Sony Music Soundtrax, C2S 85453
Produced by:
P 2001 Sony Music Entertainment, Inc.

Waiting For You 3:36
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 2002
Released 2002
From: “Music From The Motion Picture: Divine Secrets Of The Ya-Ya Sisterhood”, DMZ Records/Columbia/Sony Music Soundtrax 86534
Produced by: T Bone Burnett
P 2002 SonyMusic Entertainment, Inc.

Man Of Peace 4:20
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded
Released 2002
From: The Grateful Dead- “Postcards Of The Hanging: The Grateful Dead Perform The Songs Of Bob Dylan”, BMG/Arista 4069/7822-14069-2
Produced by:
P 2002

‘Cross The Green Mountain 8:15
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded
Released 2003
From: “Gods And Generals Original Motion Picture Soundtrack”, Limited Edition Version, Sony Classical/Sony Music Soundtrax SK 87891
Produced by
P 2003 Sony Music Entertainment, Inc.

Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking (Duet Version) 5:13
Performed by Bob Dylan & Mavis Staples
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 2002
Released 2003
Produced by Jeff Rosen
P 2003

Down In The Flood 3:36
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded
Released 2003
From: Soundtrack For The Film “Masked And Anonymous”, Columbia/Sony Music Soundtrax CK 90536
Produced by Jeff Rosen

Diamond Joe 2:33
(Traditional)
Recorded
Released 2003
From: Soundtrack For The Film “Masked And Anonymous”, Columbia/Sony Music Soundtrax CK 90536
Produced by Jeff Rosen

Dixie 2:13
Recorded
Released 2003
Produced by Jeff Rosen

Cold Irons Bound (Live) 5:43
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded 2003
Released 2003
Produced by Jeff Rosen
P 2002 Sony Music Entertainment, Inc.

Love Sick (Remix) 5:25
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded
Released 2004
From: “Victoria’s Secret Exclusive: Lovesick”, Sony A72812
Produced by
Remixed by
P 1997

Tell ‘Ol Bill 5:09
(Bob Dylan)
Recorded
Released 2005
From: Music From The Motion Picture ‘North Country’”, Sony Music Soundtrax/Columbia CK 97777
Produced by
P 2005
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gary Dunaier

Postby Gary Dunaier » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:27 am

I'm looking forward to this... I liked the uptempo tracks on Love and Theft.

I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of Dylan, but if nothing else I certainly respect the man.
"coinboynyc" on the ICE forums

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:24 am

I'm not expecting much. I also do not like Bob's live singing in recent years. Love and Theft was not all that great. The vocals were processed to sound smoother, and it sucked the life out of them imho. That made it hard for me to listen to the entire album.

That said, I am a very big fan, and always know something great can happen with this artist. I wish he would lay off the roadwork some and charge up the voice and singing energy. He still can do it, but needs some rest.

I think Time Out of Mind sounds even better today then it did when it was issued.

I think I will play the wait and see.

MK

Postby MK » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:25 pm

It's amazing to hear his phrasing live and compare it to an album cut around the same time. On record, it's clear, easy to understand. Live...."Ngggehh harannnnnnngh, BLEUH, fyyynnng!" If you can disregard diction and enunciation, I guess the phrasing is commendable based on notes and rhythm, but listen carefully and it's like he can't remember the words so he mumbles and slurs some nonsense together to fill in the gaps. Going back to the start of the NET (June 1988), the live bands have been good-to-great, and that's usually enough to carry the tune; some nights, he actually sings pretty well, though these days it's gotten worse. I kinda wish he used a teleprompter, 'cause I don't pay to see him like some kinda freakshow, even if Dylan believes that of his audience.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:03 am

well, there's a huge sloppy blowjob of an article about his climb back to artistic respectability in the 90's, along with a sidebar calling the new one a meisterwerk, in the most recent MOJO to reach the states (w/SydBarrett on the cover)

I love TIME OUT OF MIND but LOVE AND THEFT didn't grow on me.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:27 am

krabapple wrote:well, there's a huge sloppy blowjob of an article about his climb back to artistic respectability in the 90's, along with a sidebar calling the new one a meisterwerk, in the most recent MOJO to reach the states (w/SydBarrett on the cover)

I love TIME OUT OF MIND but LOVE AND THEFT didn't grow on me.

Same here. I read that article standing at the Tower Records magazine section. Some ok quotes. But ya know it is such bullshit about his "all of a sudden" back with it artistic rebirth. There was no rebirth, no shows that got better overnight.

I saw the 88 and 89 summer shows at the Greek Theater (Hot August Night!!!!), and the man was so "on" it was not funny. GE Smith gave Zimmy a total run for the money on acoustic, and there was fire on the fingertips. Opened with a rockin' Sub Homesick Blues, it's all so clear I could never forget.

TP and the Heartbreakers was wonderful backing in 86, check out the Hard To Handle video for a idea of the things they showed Bob about his songs that he'd not yet thought about.

Oh, the 95 shows in LA were at the Hollywood Palladium (3 night stand), and those rocked with major swagger, no kidding. Obviously 5 Believers was dragged out for the set closer (not previously played on stage as far back as I care to remember), and it was like the Good Morning Little School Girl riff cranked up to 11 with a defiant Bob snarling out those lines like it was 1966. Only nobody was on drugs, they were on fire!!!

There was no comeback. Bob simply made another good record that was in sync with the times, and people were ready for a good moody dark bluezy record.

But so far as the stage goes, he never lost it. Just got a bit anoyed with folks coming to the shows being old and tired, and expecting him to do magic while they sat there staring.

Then the TP and Grateful Dead tours, he was introduced to younger audiences that had more enthousiasium. And it was some fresh air out there. That's all.

BTW, I would show up at these LA shows, pound down a few beers, go up front right in front in Bob, and pogo through almost the entire 90 minute set. Bob loves that when audiences rock out for him, and it makes him give a much sharper show. He'd toss in a new line to a song on the spot to see if you notice it. An extra line, not a replacement. I've seen him with a grin on his face through out the entire show, and really putting a lot of effort into the singing. I think 95 was the best of the later years. These SRO small halls were rocking shows loaded with vintage rare ones and hits.

Then 1998 at the El Rey for five nights, that was the TOOM album, I went to 3 of the five nights. It was great of course (on CD single b-sides, those "field recordings" were this from five night stand).

Then Bob's voice has ground down so low he has to talk the songs. I stopped going when he stopped playing guitar. Because I loved his acoustic strum, I could not handle seeing that gone too.
Last edited by Jeff T. on Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MK

Postby MK » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:12 pm

hxxp://rapidshare.de/files/30271939/Bob ... _Times.rar

Check it out, it's already leaked. (change hxxp to http)

This is definitely an ooooold album...not using that as criticism, just a description. The music is a throwback to old roots music - T-Bone Walker, Muddy Waters, Charlie Christian, etc. - and the pace is pretty slow and relaxed, what you'd expect from a senior citizen (that is, don't expect him to rock out like a 20-year-old). So having said that, it sounds pretty good, at least so far.

Haven't analyzed the words just letting it sink in slowly, but at the moment, it's definitely B+ Dylan. Not a masterpiece, but up there with his solid, less ambitious works.

MK

Postby MK » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:43 pm

All right, "Beyond the Horizon" sucks. That said, half of this is pretty damn good, and the rest makes for pleasant listening.

The album seems to have a start-stop pacing that really robs it of any momentum - it prevents the uptempo stuff from building momentum and the slow stuff seem even more slow sandwiched between faster numbers.

So lemme suggest a new sequence:

1. Thunder on the Mountain
2. Rollin' and Tumblin'
3. Someday Baby
4. When the Deal Goes Down
5. Spirit on the Water
6. Workingman's Blues #2
7. Nettie Moore
8. The Levee's Gonna Break
9. Ain't Talkin'

With one less track, it's a 56:45 album, about a minute shorter than Love & Theft, FWIW.