Pink Floyd: "Pulse" DVD...

Discussion of new CD releases
stevef

Pink Floyd: "Pulse" DVD...

Postby stevef » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:33 pm

Sell Like Hell
Pink Floyd's P.U.L.S.E. DVD debuted at No. 1 on Billboard's Top Music Video tally after moving almost 93,000 units in its first week out. The expanded version of the 1994 concert film also has topped charts in the United Kingdom and six other European countries.

from prnewswire.com--

Pink Floyd's 'PULSE' DVD Debuts at #1 in the US, the UK, and Other Nations

Blockbuster Makes Top 3 Best First Week's US Sales of Any Music DVD in History

2 DVD Set Documenting The 1994 Division Bell Tour Features First Ever Filmed Performance of The Dark Side of the Moon

SANTA MONICA, Calif., July 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Pink Floyd's PULSE -- a landmark DVD collection documenting the 1994 Division Bell tour including the band's first-ever filmed performance of "The Dark Side of the Moon" -- is the #1 music DVD on both sides of the Atlantic topping the charts in Austria, Belgium, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Norway, the UK and the United States, where it's just debuted with first week's sales of 92,815 units according to SoundScan.

PULSE has one of the Top 3 best first week's sales in the United States of any music DVD in history.

Released stateside on Tuesday, July 11, this landmark release features the first ever film of Pink Floyd playing the band's seminal album, The Dark Side of the Moon, live in concert. The PULSE DVD set documents the 1994 Division Bell tour and was filmed at London's Earls Court during a record-breaking 14- night residency. The two-disc release contains the full concert performance with rare backstage footage and previously unseen extras making the collection a must-have for Pink Floyd fans.

Disc 2 of the PULSE DVD set features a live filmed performance of Pink Floyd -- David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Rick Wright -- performing the group's towering masterpiece, The Dark Side of the Moon, in its glorious entirety during the second half of the Division Bell concert. Included on disc 1 are "Shine on You Crazy Diamond," "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)," "High Hopes" and "Learning to Fly" as well as never-before-seen rarities such as Bootlegging the Bootleggers and exclusive behind-the-scenes footage of life on the road with one of the world's biggest and most influential rock bands.

Long time Pink Floyd collaborator Storm Thorgerson has designed the stunning graphics for the PULSE DVD, ensuring that the set looks as good as it sounds. Mixed in mind-expanding 5.1 surround sound and digitally re-mastered by James Guthrie, the PULSE DVD includes some of original screen films used for the 1970s concert performances of The Dark Side of the Moon (which were never filmed) as well as the visual components for the piece which were remade for the 1994 tour.

The PULSE DVD captures vividly the essence of Pink Floyd, both as a live band and as a visual tour de force, qualities that served them, and their fans, well during the group's show-stopping reunion performance at last year's Live 8.

PULSE DVD TRACKLISTING:

DISC 1

Concert Part 1:
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Learning To Fly
High Hopes
Take It Back
Coming Back To Life
Sorrow
Keep Talking
Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)
One of These Days

Screen Films:
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
High Hopes
Learning to Fly

Bootlegging the Bootleggers:
What Do You Want From Me
On The Turning Way
Poles Apart
Marooned

Videos:
Learning To Fly
Take It Back

Tour Stuff:
Maps, Itinerary, Stage Plans

Pulse TV Advert

DISC 2

Concert Part 2:
Speak To Me
Breathe In the Air
On The Run
Time
The Great Gig In The Sky
Money
Us And Them
Any Colour You Like
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb
Run Like Hell

Screen Films:
Speak To Me (graphic)
On The Run
Time 1994
The Great Gig in the Sky (wave)
Money 1987
Us And Them 1987
Brain Damage
Eclipse

Alternate Screen Versions:
Speak To Me 1987
Time (Ian Eames)
The Great Gig In The Sky (animation)
Money (Alien)
Us And Them 1994

Behind the Scenes Footage:
Say Goodbye To Life As We Know It

Photo Gallery

The Rock and Rock Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony (U.S. 1996)
Wish You Were Here with Billy Corgan
Cover Art

SOURCE Columbia Records

ImageImage
Last edited by stevef on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevef

Postby stevef » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:40 pm

For anyone interested, Costco just received these in.

Price is $13.99 for the 2-disc set in the digipak... best price I've seen.

I haven't watched all of this yet, but so far... this has been well worth the wait.
Excellent and highly recommended.

I was at the '94 Pasadena show at the Rose Bowl, and it was one amazing kick-ass show!

Steve

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:17 pm

Yeah I picked it up last week and sounds phenomenal (and I can play the 640 DD 5.1 stream as well - whoo hoo). The picture looks rough in some spots, but far better than the VCD version I've had to endure over the last couple of years.

The extras are pretty cool. Kinda wish they put the full screen version of the High Hopes video on the disc rather than the Mr. Screen version of it. The Say Goodbye to Life As We Know It featurette was pretty cool.
Craig

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:57 pm

This has been making the rounds on PBS lately (was on the air both here in Jacksonville and back in my good old Cleveland tonight).

It was been rather amusing watching this on PBS. Did you know exciting music events like this were made for Public Television?? :roll:

What's even funnier is for a $90 donation, I get a Pulse DVD!
Craig

stevef

Postby stevef » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:03 am

Beatlesfan03 wrote:This has been making the rounds on PBS lately (was on the air both here in Jacksonville and back in my good old Cleveland tonight).

It was been rather amusing watching this on PBS. Did you know exciting music events like this were made for Public Television?? :roll:

What's even funnier is for a $90 donation, I get a Pulse DVD!

I saw some of this on KCET (PBS) the other night, and one thing that caught my eye was that for a certain amount of $ donated (I forget the amount offhand) PBS will send the *donater* a special bonus David Gilmour CD featuring three unreleased tracks (not found on On An Island).
They didn't reveal what these three tracks were on TV. And I have forgotten to search them out online to see if this offer is on the PBS website... but there you go if anyone is interested... and can afford it.

Steve