Rod Stewart finally comes back to Rock!

Discussion of new CD releases
stevef

Rod Stewart finally comes back to Rock!

Postby stevef » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:27 pm

Rockin' Rod
Rod Stewart's next album will be titled Still the Same . . . Great Rock Classics of Our Time, and is due out Oct. 10.
The disc will feature 11 cover tunes, including songs by Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Elvin Bishop, Badfinger and the Pretenders, as well as the Bob Seger-penned title track. The first single from the collection will be a rendition of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Have You Ever Seen the Rain."

from PR Newswire--

Rod Stewart to Release First Rock Album in Over 8 Years, STILL THE SAME ... GREAT ROCK CLASSICS OF OUR TIME Set for Release October 10th on J Records

NEW YORK, July 24 /PRNewswire/ -- Rod Stewart returns to his roots with the release of STILL THE SAME ... GREAT ROCK CLASSICS OF OUR TIME, a landmark recording of great rock songs and Stewart's first rock album in over 8 years, scheduled for release October 10th on J Records.

STILL THE SAME ... GREAT ROCK CLASSICS OF OUR TIME comes on the heels of the unprecedented success of the four volumes that comprise his Grammy-award winning "Great American Songbook" series, the biggest selling ongoing series of new music recordings in history, with a total of almost fifteen million copies worldwide.

Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Rod Stewart has been lauded as having one of the greatest and most distinctive rock voices in history. STILL THE SAME... GREAT ROCK CLASSICS OF OUR TIME is an incredibly strong and passionate return to form. Stewart takes ownership of these thoughtfully selected tracks crafted by some of the best songwriters of our time, including Bob Dylan ("If Not For You"), Van Morrison ("Crazy Love"), Bob Seger ("Still the Same") and John Fogerty ("Have You Ever Seen the Rain" which will be the first radio single from the album). Several of Stewart's other selections sound like they were written for his signature, inimitable rasp in the first place, like Bonnie Tyler's "It's a Heartache" and "Fooled Around and Fell in Love," a 1976 hit for Elvin Bishop.

Produced by John Shanks (winner of the 2005 "Producer of the Year" Grammy award, who has worked with such artists as Sheryl Crow and Melissa Etheridge) and Clive Davis, STILL THE SAME ... GREAT ROCK CLASSICS OF OUR TIME features a lean band of top notch session musicians including Kenny Aronoff and Dean Parks. The versatility of its production is displayed in sounds ranging from the soaring Badfinger hit "Day After Day" to the most contemporary song included, the Pretenders's 1994 ballad "I'll Stand By You." (See track listing below.)

Rod Stewart became a household name in 1971 with the release of Every Picture Tells a Story and the smash hit "Maggie May." The album and the single held the Number 1 spot in both the U.S. and the U.K. simultaneously, a chart first. His discography includes numerous other hits such as "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy," "Tonight's the Night," "You're In My Heart," and "The First Cut is the Deepest." Stewart is currently one of the top grossing musical artists in the world, according to both Forbes and Rolling Stone; his "From 'Maggie May' to the Great American Songbook" tour was completely sold out for three years in a row.

STILL THE SAME...GREAT ROCK CLASSICS OF OUR TIME

Track listing in formation:

Day after Day
Fooled Around and Fell in Love
It's a Heartache
Father and Son
Love Hurts
If Not for You
Still the Same
Crazy Love
Have You Ever Seen the Rain
I'll Stand by You
Everything I Own

SOURCE J Records

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:09 pm

Oh, dear. Rod Stewart covering Bonnie Tyler imitating Rod Stewart? This could cause a causality loop of the sort that we haven't seen since the first Page and Plant tour, when Robert Plant covered David Coverdale imitating Robert Plant...

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:00 pm

Rod Stewart does 'Great Rock Classics of Our Time"??

Be still my heart!

:roll:
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

stevef

Postby stevef » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:12 pm

krabapple wrote:Rod Stewart does 'Great Rock Classics of Our Time"??

Be still my heart!

I agree that the title is kinda lame... but, if Rod can come close to recapturing his ability to cover songs the way he used to, it's always worth a listen. The Bonnie Tyler song already sound like Rod, but I'll be most interested in hearing his takes on the Fogerty, Seger, and Cat Stevens material.

Steve

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:21 pm

Eh...I guess I don't find any of those songs very "rocking". I mean, Day After Day is a classic, but as a whole the lineup just seems a bit middle of the road. Eh...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

damianm

Postby damianm » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:18 am

Yeah, but he does 'Crazy Love' :twisted:.

GoogaMooga

Postby GoogaMooga » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:13 am

Hello everybody, I'm new here. It's good that Rod the Mod is rocking again, but it would have been even better if it had been with original songs that we could associate with Rod himself. I suppose it's because there is a dearth of new songs of quality, so if he wants to remain in the public's conscious, he has no choice but to look back.

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:57 pm

Oh boy - I have been waiting for a "rocking" version of Everything I Own.

Please let Volume 2 (and there will be more if this sells) have a rocking version of If and Lost Without Your Love :roll:
Barry