Dylan Sony Gold "Blonde on Blonde"

Just what the name says.
Ron

Dylan Sony Gold "Blonde on Blonde"

Postby Ron » Sat May 10, 2003 6:54 am

It's been suggested elsewhere by more than one influential person that the Sony 20bit SBM gold BoB isn't so hot as the mix is crappy. I no longer have the vinyl so I can't compare the two, but I've listened to that CD a couple of times since that comment first aired and I still don't get it. Sounds pretty good to me. Any thoughts?

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat May 10, 2003 2:06 pm

I never cared for it. I know Roger Ford doesn't either:

http://www.rdf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Bob ... bPart2.htm

And apparently neither does Michael Fremer:

http://www.musicangle.com/bobdylan.html

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat May 10, 2003 8:56 pm

Why do I get the feeling that Fremer doesn't really know much about Dylan or BoB? Funny how he pans the new stereo mix without even hearing it.

Or anything else, for that matter...

Ron

Postby Ron » Sat May 10, 2003 9:44 pm

Thanks, Patrick, for the links. I don't [yet] have a SACD player, so I'm going to wait for the new BoB hybrid. But I've been curious about the Sundazed mono issue and on the basis of what I just read I may pick that one up. But Luke doesn't trust Fremer's opinion . . . hmmm. What to do? What to do. . . ?
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon May 12, 2003 8:27 am

My personal opinion is that the single-layer SACD beats up the gold disc and steals its lunch money. Really no comparison at all. We'll see what the hybrid is like...

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Ron

Postby Ron » Mon May 12, 2003 9:53 am

OK. But would any of you refer to the Sony gold as "crappy"? I can understand having a preference for another release, but this release just doesn't sound crappy to me.
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon May 12, 2003 1:37 pm

Well, clearly there's a tendency in some circles to classify something as "crappy" just because something better exists. (Especially if that "better" version is an obscure 1972 vinyl pressing from Hungary, or an OOP CD that had a print run of 83 copies, or whatever.) The gold disc isn't some unlistenable disaster, I happily enjoyed it for years.

When the hybrid arrives (especially if the CD layer uses the same mix as the single-layer SACD), though, it might be worth an upgrade.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Ron

Postby Ron » Tue May 13, 2003 4:01 am

Thanks, Ryan, for the clarification. Ya know, these audiophile types sure *can* be picky. Like you, I've happily listened to the gold issue for years. I am though, looking forward to what's said about the new hybrid. And should the DSD layer turn out to be terrific, who knows, maybe I'll pick up an SACD player.

Ron

Postby Ron » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:35 am

Just got the Sundazed mono LP--veeerry nice. In any event, I made a transfer to CDR and am more than happy to send out copies. Interested parties PM me with your address.