Scorsese Presents the Blues: EC/I'm So Glad stereo remix

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Scorsese Presents the Blues: EC/I'm So Glad stereo remix

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:34 pm

Does anyone have this one? Supposedly it has a stereo remix of I'm So Glad, but I took a quick listen to the clip on Circuit City's website, and it didn't seem to have much or any separation.
Last edited by lukpac on Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:56 pm

Ok, I bought the damn thing.

Yes, I'm So Glad is in stereo. It's pretty narrow, though. Guitar slightly to the left, bass/drums/lead vocal centered, backing vocals and solo right. Interesting enough, but...

There's a *big* problem with the mix, however. The sync on the solo is *way* off. Like by an entire beat. I almost did a double take when I first heard it. The backing vocals near the end are off by half a beat. Not sure how they missed that...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:18 pm

I'm not crazy:

I'm So Glad

Mono mix left, right channel of stereo mix right.

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:42 pm

They must be asleep over at BSN...no mention of this at all! Hmmm...

Interesting but gotta ask, Luke, before I go out and get this one...does the mix sound 'honest' to you, or is it something that sounds unnatural, even doctored, like the Hendrix box set's "Highway Chile" or some of the Who '60s singles. Many of these seem like they've been somehow imaged from a mono source(a trick I first heard--badly--on a Freddie King comp back in the '80s, trying to make stereo from mono tape sources by some kind of digital trickery, bringing out the 'real studio ambiance' or some bullshit like that.)

Because if "I'm So Glad" is stereo from a real stereo tape source, I'd have expected you to rave about the reasonable separation....why should the mix be tight? If it were twin-track, Ok, maybe tight would make sense to fill up the hole, but that's not what you posted, exactly.

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:58 pm

The mix isn't ideal, IMO (if that means anything), but it isn't that bad. Probably better than Highway Chile. I could stomach the mix if the sync was correct. But even I'll take mono over a guitar solo that's a beat off.

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:36 pm

Yeah, I listened....that's fairly incredible, way too obvious for a pro to miss, which is what's fueling my concern that maybe it's some kind of doctored 'stereo-from-mono'....how else can one account for that delay? That's way off....

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:02 pm

I'm not sure I understand how such an error could exist from a "stereo to mono" mix.

At any rate, Bill L told me it was a sync of 2 4-track tapes, which seems to jive with what I've read before and what the mix sounds like. It just seems like they got the sync on that second 4-track (with those overdubs) *way* off in places.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:47 am

That sucked. How can they can miss stuff that is that out of sync is beyond me. I do take confort in the fact that the Fresh Cream multitracks still survive. I'd love a Fresh Cream DE with a stereo remix of the entire album...
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:35 am

From what I've heard, we may get a "fixed" I'm So Glad, but a total remix (something I've hinted at for a few years) looks doubtful.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:17 am

lukpac wrote:From what I've heard, we may get a "fixed" I'm So Glad, but a total remix (something I've hinted at for a few years) looks doubtful.

Oh well. Do you know if there are/were plans for a Fresh Cream DE?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:37 am

Last I heard the idea was thrown around, but they were going to see how the DG DE sold.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:36 am

"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:08 am

How is the mono mix of Fresh Cream in general? I find the stereo mix to be distracting, and I'm So Glad is a nice surprise in its vivacious mono.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:14 am

Well, it's a 'rarely used stereo master' only because it sounds suspiciously like a DCS contrivance, and was first used for Eric's THE BLUES comp.

What the hell does that mean?

The rest of that thread is pretty amusing, for obvious reasons.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:48 pm

I just did a listen to what Circuit City has up now, and the stereo mix seems to be a bit wider than the one the Scorsese set. Maybe.

We'll see if they fixed the sync on the backing vocals as well.