Angus and Malcolm on the new AC/DC remasters

Just what the name says.
Patrick M

Angus and Malcolm on the new AC/DC remasters

Postby Patrick M » Wed May 07, 2003 12:26 am

From Guitar World April 2003:

As part of your new deal with Epic, the label is remastering most of your back catalog. Atlantic Records did the same thing back in the early Nineties. What's different about these new releases?

MALCOLM: For one thing, the levels are up a hell of a lot louder than they were the last time. I was just comparing them the other day and the volume is twice as loud. Plus, the bottom end sounds great, and they put in a bit more mids as well. Everything sounds tight and ballsy.

ANGUS: And with these new ones we involved a lot of the people who worked on the original records, as well as newer guys who have a good grasp of the recent technology. So it's the best of both worlds. Plus, we've included a few little surprises and things, like some rare audio and video.

Sounds like George Marino has struck again...

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed May 07, 2003 8:55 am

Sounds like Iggy in the liners to the "Raw Power" remix, where he gleefully recalls how horrified the mastering engineer (Mark Wilder, I think) was by the levels he wanted. He said he kept yelling, "Why isn't that in the red? They all should be in the red, all the time! Aaaaaaarrggh!"

He says he finally let them back it off half a db. :)

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

britre

Re: Angus and Malcolm on the new AC/DC remasters

Postby britre » Wed May 07, 2003 9:10 am

Patrick M wrote:From Guitar World April 2003:

As part of your new deal with Epic, the label is remastering most of your back catalog. Atlantic Records did the same thing back in the early Nineties. What's different about these new releases?

MALCOLM: For one thing, the levels are up a hell of a lot louder than they were the last time. I was just comparing them the other day and the volume is twice as loud. Plus, the bottom end sounds great, and they put in a bit more mids as well. Everything sounds tight and ballsy.

ANGUS: And with these new ones we involved a lot of the people who worked on the original records, as well as newer guys who have a good grasp of the recent technology. So it's the best of both worlds. Plus, we've included a few little surprises and things, like some rare audio and video.

Sounds like George Marino has struck again...

Wow, I didn't know they or anyone else involved in the "AC/DC Sound" cared :roll:

Grant

Postby Grant » Wed May 07, 2003 3:10 pm

The only things the new remasters have going for them is that they really did use better tapes, and the bottom end is better. Other than those two points, you can hear the limiting action. But, it is very mild.

Many musicians are not audiophile types, so they may not know what to listen for. Their hearing also might be bad, so they may not be able to hear problems if they were there. All they can tell is loudness. :roll:

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed May 07, 2003 5:41 pm

Grant wrote:The only things the new remasters have going for them is that they really did use better tapes, and the bottom end is better. Other than those two points, you can hear the limiting action. But, it is very mild.

Which ones have you heard? Did Marino do them all? Could you post a pic of a sample waveform?

Grant

Postby Grant » Fri May 09, 2003 4:10 pm

Back In Black is the one i'm specifically referring to. I won't bother posting a wave because it's what you would expect from most new remasters. :evil:

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Fri May 09, 2003 6:56 pm

Grant wrote:Back In Black is the one i'm specifically referring to. I won't bother posting a wave because it's what you would expect from most new remasters. :evil:

Do you have the last Marino 'Back in Black' remaster for comparison? I wonder how they compare.

Marino is on my "list"...he has ruined too many CDs, including the last Dream Theater, and both of Jerry Cantrell's. Everytime I had "Degradation Trip" in my changer, I had to run across the room to turn it down. :evil: