I was about to ask for samples! Thanks.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:57 am

lukpac wrote:Here are a couple of samples for everyone's listening pleasure:

Anyone? Ed?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:12 pm

Patience, Luke, patience...don't need the samples--I have the discs, and more besides--and will give them another listen when I'm near the sound system(laptops are useful, but not for listening to anything, I'm afraid!)

In the meantime, I will say that, whatever misgivings I have over the Animals SACD, the Hermits, on the main, is very well done. Some have claimed "Dandy" is an alt. mix, but if so, didn't jump out at me the first few listens.

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:03 pm

Regardless of that though, Ed, the files do have a purpose of their own - you don't know which is which going into things. Pre-conceived bias is a bitch, you know.

And your laptop doesn't have sound?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:35 pm

Has anybody seen these at Best Buy? I ask because I'm interested in the Animals disc; I don't actually have ANY Animals on CD, and this seems to be a decent way to acquire some. That said, paying anything more than $11.99 for it...
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:05 pm

I got mine at BB.

$11.99 your limit these days?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:08 pm

Ed Bishop wrote:Patience, Luke, patience...don't need the samples--I have the discs, and more besides--and will give them another listen when I'm near the sound system(laptops are useful, but not for listening to anything, I'm afraid!

Find your way to that sound system yet, Ed?

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:32 pm

lukpac wrote:
Ed Bishop wrote:Patience, Luke, patience...don't need the samples--I have the discs, and more besides--and will give them another listen when I'm near the sound system(laptops are useful, but not for listening to anything, I'm afraid!

Find your way to that sound system yet, Ed?

Ah Luke....keeping an eye on your beloved lurkers... :wink:

Yup, I did! Shame on me for neglecting you.

While the Animals SACD isn't de-hissed, the hiss is not as pronounced as on Drake's remaster. Of course we're dealing strictly with the later Tom Wilson stuff here; the earlier material isn't bad at all, though one could argue they could have just copied the masters from THE SINGLES PLUS and would have been just as well off.

What puzzles me more is STARPORTRAIT....I've been told sites are listing Dennis Drake in their credits, but there is no such listing on the package, and--what's more--this was part of a series issued in Europe. That one is, if anything, the hissiest of the bunch, but my suspicion is that one's not a Drake remaster at all, but using tape sources from...UK? Germany? And mastered in Europe, like as not. As I've posted elsewhere, the opening tape drag on "SF Nights" is not something Drake would have let slide by....but it IS the kind of bungling PolyGram was capable of in the '80s, when they were pulling any old tapes for those Platters, Brook Benton, and V.A. comps that had rechanneling or what I thought was sound generations away from the masters.

Bottom line: if I'm assembling a comp tomorrow, Drake's master still gets my nod. But the Animals SACD is more than reasonable, if you can stand paying $18.99 at Borders.

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:02 pm

Ed Bishop wrote:While the Animals SACD isn't de-hissed, the hiss is not as pronounced as on Drake's remaster.

I still think if anything the hiss is slightly *more* pronounced on the SACD, but at least we agree there was no NR (other than on the intro to Sky Pilot).

Since I have no memory or ability to do any searches myself (or even to look back in this thread), has the 45 mix of Sky Pilot shown up on CD anywhere? Has anyone done a good dub?

Not a Hoffman member

Postby Not a Hoffman member » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:20 am

>>Since I have no memory or ability to do any searches myself (or even to look back in this thread), has the 45 mix of Sky Pilot shown up on CD anywhere? Has anyone done a good dub?<<

Luke, try this cd from Repertoire...Eric Burdon & the Animals - The Twain Shall Meet, REPUK 1022. It has the album version of Sky Pilot, plus single version A & B sides, separated like the single, as part of the bonus tracks.