Sundazed

Just what the name says.
Patrick M

Sundazed

Postby Patrick M » Fri May 02, 2003 9:14 pm

Speaking of, does anyone discount Sundazed vinyl? I have been meaning to buy all those Dylans, plus I would probably pick up the mono SP. I realize $15 is a good deal, but it would be nice if someone would cut you some slack on a large-ish order. No one locally seems to stock the titles I want, so I'd probably mail order them anyway.

Ron

Postby Ron » Sat May 03, 2003 6:45 pm

No, I don't know anything about finding discounted copies of Sundazed product. But shiii-et, at $15 per stop your moanin' and hollarin'--I have to pay close to twice that. [But the high cost of imported vinyl is more than adequately compensated for by the skin found on your average Asian--a silky qual. . . . Enough! I start talkin' like this and David's houseboy stays in the bathroom for HOURS.]

I'd like to subvert this thread for a moment and discuss "Sundazed" in general. I've got a lot of their stuff and am grateful it was reissued. But in general--overall--I can't say as I've been knocked out by anything Bob's put out since, say, the Microdots series [which was tremendous]. I waited years for the Rip Chords stuff and was disappointed overall.

So. Comments on specific Sundazed titles welcome. Let's share. [Oh. And if anyone comes up with a place that discounts the vinyl, be sure to share that also.]

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat May 03, 2003 7:35 pm

I don't own any Sundazed. I just have good intentions. I also have an aversion to paying 'full list price' because I am a cheap, lazy American.

Ron

Postby Ron » Sat May 03, 2003 9:35 pm

I'm surprised. I thought *everybody* had at least a couple of Sundazed titles in their collection. But I can see why you wouldn't as the label's pretty much confined to the 60s. The Dylan titles would certainly be of interest to a wider audience, though. And like you, I'm kinda interested in those [well, Highway 61 specifically] but I haven't heard anyone exactly raving about any of those LPs [Byrds' either]. In fact, does anyone get all wet at the mention of Bob Irwin-remastered stuff? David? When the houseboy's out of the john, ask him will ya?

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat May 03, 2003 10:22 pm

Ron wrote:In fact, does anyone get all wet at the mention of Bob Irwin-remastered stuff?

Luke has him on speed dial.

I fully intend to get all the Dylan titles, and have for some time. As I said, though, being a tight, lazy, currently unemployed (which is my fault for being lazy) American, I haven't bit the bullet. I was intending to do this a few months ago when Red Trumpet was giving 10% back in merchandise credit on some things. I had a hell of a time getting the guy at RT to respond to me, and I finally gave up on them. I already have a fair amount of original mono Dylan LPs, so I guess the need isn't urgent.

I do have one Classic LP - the mono Axis.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat May 03, 2003 11:14 pm

I think the only Sundazed I have is the Preflyte set, on CD. No vinyl here...

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun May 04, 2003 2:25 am

I have tons of Sundazed, but no vinyl (I just can't bring myself to buy "new vinyl"...I dunno. I understand the point 'n all, but just can't spring for it). Sundazed is by far the most consistent reissue label I know of, but they have a few frustrating downsides, at least with regard to their CDs. The entire "We're a US label, and thus we can't include as many tracks per CD" really blows...I understand it isn't their fault, but it puts them at a SERIOUS disadvantage versus, say, Repertoire (I'd still point people in the direction of Repertoire's Turtles discs over the Sundazed, for example, despite Sundazed's offerings sounding a bit better). Their liner notes are frequently skimpy. And they're not above "selectively" leaving stuff off in order to boost collector's values (i.e. the fucking Ballroom set and the missing "It's a Sad World" demo).

And Sundazed Kustom Shop never really got off the ground, did it? Too bad.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Ron

Postby Ron » Sun May 04, 2003 4:21 am

I agree with you re: skimpy-ness. For example, the Rip Chords' two albums [including non-LP singles] could have *easily* have fit on one CD. And that Kustom Shop thing?? I could never figure out what the hell it was supposed to be.
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon May 05, 2003 2:38 am

Probably a Rhino-handmade-alike, although Sundazed *already* caters to such a ridiculously niche audience that it was fated from the start to become a "collectors fetishista" part of the site (i.e. "Here're two tracks we *didn't* put on the Preflyte disc! Own them on a scratchy 45!").

Although at the beginning it had promise...heck, I'd buy a three disc set of the first 5 Byrds albums in mono + mono singles on CD.
-------------

Ron

Postby Ron » Mon May 05, 2003 7:39 am

Were those mono Byrds titles actually offered on CD or was that merely an example?
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon May 05, 2003 5:06 pm

Merely an example.
-------------