POB and Imagine remixes...

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

POB and Imagine remixes...

Postby Xenu » Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:38 am

...I dig the heck out of these puppies (never been partial to the original LP mixes, 'tho I agree that the original mix of Sleep is much better), but what's to gain from MoFi re-releasing 'em? Is it a marketing stunt?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Patrick M

Re: POB and Imagine remixes...

Postby Patrick M » Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:55 pm

Xenu wrote:...I dig the heck out of these puppies (never been partial to the original LP mixes, 'tho I agree that the original mix of Sleep is much better), but what's to gain from MoFi re-releasing 'em? Is it a marketing stunt?

Are they releasing the remixes?

If so, maybe they will get tubey goodness, midrange magic, and they will be flat transfers.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:23 pm

Apparently. Lord knows why.
-------------

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:10 am

I'm guessing they figure a John Lennon release, even of 21st-century remixed material, will get them more publicity than Patricia Barber. So, yeah, a marketing stunt.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:23 am

"Meet the new MoFi/Same as the old MoFi"

It's stunts like this that honestly make me question the integrity behind most of their releases. I wasn't sure I'd ever forgive them for the Kinks thing and the two remixed Who reissues (which of course *still* had people saying "well, the top end on this is a bit smoother," which combined with the collectors' value had the result of what you see nowadays on eBay), and now...
-------------

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:53 am

The future is clear:

Ryan

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:01 pm

Particularly useless, eh?;)

I wouldn't mind them using *new* remixes, but there wouldn't be a point to that...might as well just go with the originals if they're releasing 'em in this format.
-------------

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Tue May 06, 2003 5:45 am

Rspaight wrote:The future is clear:

Ryan

Don't laugh; if they're gonna put out the REMIXES of the Lennon albums this way, why NOT 30#1. Might as well go all the way and milk it till it's dry....

The Lennon remixes are a trade-off: you do get wider separation for some songs, and real stereo for others that might as well have been mono("How Do You Sleep?"). But nothing will change "My Mummy's Dead" and, besides, many of the mixes were just fine--or as fine as one could want--and remixing did nothing to improve, say, '"Imagine" except to make it sound different. Since 5.1 remixing for this material is likely out of the question, if these were going to be reissued, the original mixes would have made sense but, welcome to 21st century revisionism. Can't say we didn't see it comin', kids....

ED
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed May 07, 2003 2:24 am

Ed Bishop wrote:Don't laugh; if they're gonna put out the REMIXES of the Lennon albums this way, why NOT 30#1. Might as well go all the way and milk it till it's dry....

The Lennon remixes are a trade-off: you do get wider separation for some songs, and real stereo for others that might as well have been mono("How Do You Sleep?"). But nothing will change "My Mummy's Dead" and, besides, many of the mixes were just fine--or as fine as one could want--and remixing did nothing to improve, say, '"Imagine" except to make it sound different. Since 5.1 remixing for this material is likely out of the question, if these were going to be reissued, the original mixes would have made sense but, welcome to 21st century revisionism. Can't say we didn't see it comin', kids....

ED

I disagree. I think remixing did a lot to improve the albums (being, as I am, slightly allergic to Spector's mixing style). And heck, didn't Imagine come out in 1999/2000? (thus making it officially 20th century revisionism?^_^).

I don't mind revisionism. I mind MoFi pulling this crap *again* *under new management*. They should know better, honestly.

-D

I mean, heck, if they want to do remixes, why not do Argent or Odessey and Oracle or Village Green or something that *needs* a remix and do one from scratch direct to DSD...or (for a laugh) the new, stereo AQO without the mastering...hehe.

Beatlelennon65

Postby Beatlelennon65 » Tue May 20, 2003 1:54 pm

I like the remixes, but I am not getting rid of my original mix CDs. I never heard the original mix of Mind Games, but the new mix sounds great to me. Then again, what the fuck do I know?
it's a leap to conclusions mat...

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Tue May 20, 2003 4:48 pm

Beatlelennon65 wrote:I like the remixes, but I am not getting rid of my original mix CDs. I never heard the original mix of Mind Games, but the new mix sounds great to me.

Hi, Rob!

No, by all means, keep the original mixes. Think of the remixes as a different angle, not the final word, even if Yoko and EMI are hellbent on making sure they are.

Then again, what the fuck do I know?

Never say that in this den of sharks! :mrgreen: :lol: :wink:

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....