Things that're pissing me off about Anthology

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

Things that're pissing me off about Anthology

Postby Xenu » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:55 am

a) The sheer number of tantalizing--yet incomplete--clips. For example, it just hit me that the version of "Leave My Kitten Alone" played at the end of Episode 1 is, in fact, the first stereo appearence of the track. And it's faded out like HALF A FREAKIN' MINUTE EARLY. WHYYYY?

Same goes for Fool on the Hill, which sounds positively stunning.

b) See A.

c) Some of the mixes are fairly odd...most're clearly collapsed from the 5.1 mixes. Not bad, but some just sound weird ("Walrus").

d) See A.

e) Due to the 5.1 folddown, some of the "mono with ambience" stuff sounds slightly odd.

f) See A.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Grant

Postby Grant » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:04 pm

Wham what I have learmed, they EQ'ed the music by boosting it +3.db in the midrange.

What I hate is that they didn't bother to combine the volumes as one per disc.

Mike R

Postby Mike R » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:16 pm

I agree with David. That new stereo mix of Leave My Kitten Alone is stunning and Apple doesn't give us the whole song. And as mentioned Fool On The Hill is incomplete along with several other songs/performances including I Am The Walrus which is presented to us for the first time completely in a 5.1 surround mix. No fake stereo on the back half of the song anymore. These incomplete songs are frustrating at times. Just makes me long for the regular CDs to be remastered.

Maybe that's the point. So when Apple gets around to remastering The Beatles, I along with some of you will be out there buying the albums again for the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc., time.
________

Mike Richards

"I like a bit of tape hiss personally." George Harrison

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:45 pm

I really, really like most of these revisionist remixes. It's utterly absurd how much better the team has gotten since Yellow Submarine.

I've been able to "fix" some of the slightly incomplete clips, but things like Fool and Kitten *really bug me*.

-D

PS: FWIW, let's not start banding about the +3 EQ boost...I sense a "smile-EQ"-like overuse of the phrase in the future.