ABKCO Plans Stones Singles Boxes

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:09 pm

The Beatles did it, The Who is (kind of) doing it, why not the Stones?

We'll see how much this is. Too bad there are exactly 2 unique songs (and an intro).

Edited By Barry A. Jeckell. March 19, 2004, 11:00 AM ET

ABKCO Records will release three box sets of the Rolling Stones singles recorded between 1963 and 1971.

The first set, "The Rolling Stones Singles 1963-1965," is due May 4 and featured 12 CDs beginning with the group's first studio recordings from the spring of 1963. "The Rolling Stones Singles 1965-1967" and "The Rolling Stones Singles 1968-1971" will bow in the summer and fall, respectively.

Each of the 12 discs in "The Rolling Stones Singles 1963-1965" will be packaged in a picture sleeve displaying original artwork; the discs will approximate the original vinyl 45 rpm singles. Featuring 33 songs in all, the set also includes a 28-page booklet of rare photos and annotation, and an essay by Nigel Williamson, editor of Billboard's weekly "Global Pulse" column.

The series marks the first time three Rolling Stones EPs previously released on vinyl in the United Kingdom -- 1964's "Five By Five" and "The Rolling Stones EP" and 1965's "Got Live If You Want It" -- will be issued on CD. "Got Live If You Want It" includes recordings of "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" and "Pain in My Heart" never before released on CD.

In August 2002, ABKCO Records released "The Rolling Stones Remastered," 22 titles encompassing their LP releases between 1963 and 1970 as well as several compilations. Those titles were issued on dual-layer, hybrid Super Audio CD.

Here is the track listing for The Rolling Stones Singles 1963-1965:

• Disc 1: "Come On" / "I Want To Be Loved" (U.K. 1963)
• Disc 2: "I Wanna Be Your Man" / "Stoned" (U.K. 1963 / U.S. 1964)
• Disc 3: "The Rolling Stones EP": "Bye, Bye Johnny" / "Money" / "You Better Move On" / "Poison Ivy" (U.K. 1964)
• Disc 4: "Not Fade Away"" / "Little By Little" (U.K. 1964 / U.S. 1964)
• Disc 5: "It's All Over Now"" / "Good Times, Bad Times" (U.K. 1964" / "U.S. 1964)
• Disc 6: Five By Five (EP): "If You Need Me" / "Empty Heart" / "2120 South Michigan Avenue" / "Confessin' the Blues" / "Around and Around" (U.K. 1964)
• Disc 7: "Tell Me" / "I Just Want To Make Love To You" (U.S. 1964)
• Disc 8: "Time Is On My Side" / "Congratulations" (U.S. 1964)
• Disc 9: "Little Red Rooster" / "Off the Hook" (U.K. 1964)
• Disc 10: "Heart of Stone" / "What a Shame" (U.S. 1964)
• Disc 11: "The Last Time" / "Play With Fire" (U.S. 1964 / U.S. 1965)
• Disc 12: "Got Live If You Want It" (EP): "We Want the Stones" / "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" / "Pain In My Heart" / "Route 66" / "I'm Moving On" / "I'm Alright" (U.K. 1965)

-- Christopher Walsh, N.Y.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:15 pm

MSRP?

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:42 pm

I've heard $60.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

hobokenlad

Postby hobokenlad » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:28 pm

It seems that these may NOT be in the SACD format (a turn off to me).

Also, will the tracks be in original mono? The "5X5" EP (as part of the U.S. "12X5" LP/CD) was in stereo on the recent SACD reissues.

And will the next box set include the correct single version of "The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man"? All recent reissues feature the original LP version. And then there is that sticky "Ruby Tuesday" question. Original mono or remixed (and inferior) mono/stereo?

I guess time will tell.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:16 pm

I'd assume mono, although I think those Chess tracks might just be fold-downs in mono anyway. Wonder what they'll do for 2120.

As far as Under Assistant goes, the "dirty" version was withdrawn, wasn't it? Karnbach claims it was actually released on the original OOOH albums (US and UK).
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Christer

Postby Christer » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:43 pm

The correct single version of "The Under Assistant..." was originally issued as
the B-side of the U.S. single (I Can´t Get No) Satisfaction. I don´t think it was ever released on the "Out Of Our Heads" LP. I believe both the U.S. version and the U.K version of "Out Of Our Heads" had the "clean" version of "The Under Assistant.."

The single version was issued on the "old" ABKCO Singles Collection CD, but not on the SACD reissue.

I still have my old Singles Collection CD box with a booklet with lyrics and the
correct version of "The Under Assistant..." and the correct version of "Ruby Tuesday" and I´m going to keep it!

Christer
Sweden

seth

Postby seth » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:50 pm

What's the deal with the Who singles box. Is this going to be like the 2 Kinks singles boxes (which I have)?

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:38 pm

Who singles box discussed here, about halfway down. I haven't found any source for this in the States for less than $70, which is too much. I'd like to have it, but not for that kind of dough.

Maybe if the dollar ever recovers...

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:34 pm

Christer wrote:The correct single version of "The Under Assistant..." was originally issued as
the B-side of the U.S. single (I Can´t Get No) Satisfaction. I don´t think it was ever released on the "Out Of Our Heads" LP. I believe both the U.S. version and the U.K version of "Out Of Our Heads" had the "clean" version of "The Under Assistant.."

I don't have any of the original issues, but I'll quote Karnbach:

James Karnbach and Carol Bernson wrote:Original pressings of "The Under-Assistant West Cost Promotion Man" on this single and on Out Of Our Heads (US and UK releases), included the lyric "I have two clerks...I break my ass every day." The line had to be deleted from the original tape and subsequent pressings were produced from a new master. Otherwise, the song would never have been broadcast on US AM radio.

It was broadcast on the radio??

The single version was issued on the "old" ABKCO Singles Collection CD, but not on the SACD reissue.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

I still have my old Singles Collection CD box with a booklet with lyrics and the correct version of "The Under Assistant..." and the correct version of "Ruby Tuesday" and I´m going to keep it!

Has it ever been determined if Ruby Tuesday is actually a mono mix on there, rather than a fold-down?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:26 pm

Here's a bit more, from Reuters:

Label to package Stones' singles in boxed set

New collection to feature songs released from 1963-65

Updated: 9:54 a.m. ET March  23, 2004

LOS ANGELES - As the Rolling Stones extend their record-breaking gap between studio albums into a seventh year, their former label is stepping up with a series of reissues.

ABKCO Records will on May 4 release the first of three boxed sets collecting all the U.S. and U.K. singles and EPs from the band’s heyday in the 1960s.

“The Rolling Stones Singles 1963-1965” will feature 12 discs, three of them reproducing EPs that were only released on vinyl in the U.K., “The Rolling Stones,” “Five By Five” and ”Got Live If You Want It!”

Each disc approximates the black vinyl look of the original 45, and is individually packaged in a picture sleeve using original artwork. The suggested retail price for the first set will be $59.95, a spokesman said.

The second box, “The Rolling Stones Singles 1965-1967,” will come out in the summer, and the third box, “The Rolling Stones Singles 1968-1971,” in the fall. Exact dates have not been scheduled yet.

ABKCO, owned by the Stones’ former manager, Allen Klein, re-released 22 of their early albums on dual-layer, hybrid Super Audio CDs in 2002 to coincide with the launch of their ”Licks” world tour. It will release “The Rolling Stones’ Rock and Roll Circus” on DVD in Christmas 2005, ABKCO representatives said recently.

'Price of an education'
The Stones, who famously lost their 1960s copyrights to Klein, were not directly involved with the singles project, a label spokesman said. But ABKCO executives have been in daily contact with Keith Richards’ manager, Jane Rose. The Stones guitarist has been the most sanguine about losing the copyrights, having once described it as “the price of an education.” Klein, in turn, has said Richards is his favorite Stone. They also share a birthday.

The first disc features the debut single, “Come On” the b-side “I Want To Be Loved,” which were recorded in May 1963 and released the following month.

The final disc is “Got Live If You Want It!” -- not to be confused with a 1966 U.S.-only live album of the same name but with different songs from a later concert. The EP was recorded in Britain in March 1965 and released three months later.

The first track, “We Want the Stones!” consists of the crowd chanting that line, and the Stones credited themselves, under their Nanker-Phelge pseudonym to claim royalties. The versions of “Everybody Needs Somebody To Love” and “Pain in My Heart” have also never before been released on CD.

Even though their first U.S. chart-topper “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” was released in the United States two weeks before the live EP hit U.K. stores, it will be included on the second box.

The Stones’ last studio album, “Bridges to Babylon,” was released in September 1997. Amid rumors that they will tour next year, the band’s members are working on an unspecified project that necessitated the cancellation of drummer Charlie Watts’ plans to tour Europe in the summer.

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.