Future Who Deluxe editions?

Just what the name says.
Chris M

Future Who Deluxe editions?

Postby Chris M » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:56 am

If MCA continues the Who Deluxe editions what other LP's would be the best candidates? I doubt they would do Quad since it's already a 2CD set. Personally, I'd like to see a By Numbers Deluxe Edition with ACTUAL outtakes from the sessions assuming MCA has Glyn John's phone number. Maybe w/ Swansea stuff on the 2nd disc. Anyone have any ideas?

Chris

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:41 am

It seems to me I've heard rumbles of there being a Tommy DE. I guess we'll see.

As far as Who's Next goes, I'd sure like to know what the deal is with the Time Is Passing master tape. Are we really to believe there are two tapes, each with the opposite channel damaged?

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:25 pm

SE's of A QUICK ONE and SELL OUT would be nice if the mono and stereo mixes were used(ala VU & NICO)and someone with some horse sense did the remastering, but as both scenarios are unlikely, another collector's pipe dream. We have a lot of those, don't we? :roll:

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

britre

Postby britre » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:41 pm

lukpac wrote:It seems to me I've heard rumbles of there being a Tommy DE. I guess we'll see.

As far as Who's Next goes, I'd sure like to know what the deal is with the Time Is Passing master tape. Are we really to believe there are two tapes, each with the opposite channel damaged?

This is something I would like to see. esspecially perhaps a double set which contained all versions (original, movie, broadway), and alternates and demos for bothe the original and movie versions.

Additional material could include songs Pete left out. There was a long time ago a outake demo version bootleged by Yellow Dog Records. Same guys who put out alot of Beatles stuff. Lets hope there is another Tommy resurgance. It's so good it comes back every ten years.

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:50 pm

That would be nice, but you're probably talking serious box set here. I'd like to see a proper remastering of the original mix, the alt. takes, demos, other goodies scattered about. The problem with such great ideas is that it's easier to dream of them than it is for the reality to take place. TOMMY is certainly deserving enough, but wanting and having are two different things.

ED :P 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:05 pm

Ed Bishop wrote:SE's of A QUICK ONE and SELL OUT would be nice if the mono and stereo mixes were used(ala VU & NICO)and someone with some horse sense did the remastering

I pretty much doubt we'll be seeing DE's of those to albums, but if the mastering were like the Who's Next DE, I wouldn't be that sad. Not that it couldn't have been better. But it certainly wasn't terrible.

As far as demos go, the trend would seem to be that demos don't get added to Who product - if the Tommy demos ever get officially released, it will probably be via Pete, not The Who.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:37 am

Here's my .02......

A QUICK ONE - unlikely to see a DE since there isn't any pro recorded live '66 stuff to use for disc 2. I doubt they will give us the mono mix again after the 'revised' AQO stereo disc.

SELL OUT - doubt we will see this one either but I think w/ the mono mix and other outtakes (Great Shakes, alt takes, etc) Sell Out has enough material for a DE.

TOMMY - I guess they could use one of the '69 shows for the 2nd disc but I just can't see Pete giving the OK for that w/ the fairly recent Wight and LAL DE relelases that contain complete or nearly complete live Tommy's. Is there enough studio stuff left over from Tommy for a 2nd disc?

QUADROPHENIA - Doubt we will get a 4CD set.....

BY NUMBERS - IMO this is the best candidate for a DE since we haven't got *any* By Numbers outtakes yet or much from the Swansea show either.

Chris
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:15 am

Chris M wrote:TOMMY - I guess they could use one of the '69 shows for the 2nd disc but I just can't see Pete giving the OK for that w/ the fairly recent Wight and LAL DE relelases that contain complete or nearly complete live Tommy's. Is there enough studio stuff left over from Tommy for a 2nd disc?

Probably not. While there is probably more I don't know about, I can only think of Cousin Kevin Model Child and the alternate mixes of Cousin Kevin and Fiddle About (and I can't recall if Fiddle About is really any different besides being mono).

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:06 am

How about an Odds & Sods DE, with the correct versions of the stuff on the current expanded version, plus further outtake goodies, live rarities (various covers and things like "Dance It Away") and rarish tracks not compiled elsewhere in the inprint catalog?

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:26 am

Perhaps. An entirely new rarities set would make just as much sense, though.

Actually, now that I'm giving it some real thought, a Sell Out D/E could be fairly spiffy...after all, the bonus tracks were mostly remixed for the '95 disc, and the originals have (for the most part) never officially been issued. Add in the original stereo and mono mixes, some demos, perhaps Fillmore '68...heck, I'd buy it.

They'd probably spread 90 minutes of material over three discs, though, and charge $40 for it...:-(
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:15 pm

Original mixes of the bonus tracks? What do you mean? Other than Someone's Coming (mono only) and Glow Girl (original mix from 1974, not that great IMO), there really aren't "original mixes" for those tracks...

bill p.

Postby bill p. » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:07 pm

It's harder for me to get excited about a Tommy Deluxe Edition then say, By Numbers or Sell Out. Who By Numbers would be a great choice, especially if their are some full band demo's or worthwhile rehearsal takes. Good point about the Swansea concert.

Sell Out is probably my favorite Who album. I especially love the mono version. Has anybody heard the Pop Is Art bootleg? The mono Sell Out was worth the price for me. Sounds very nice. :mrgreen:

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:00 pm

lukpac wrote:Original mixes of the bonus tracks? What do you mean? Other than Someone's Coming (mono only) and Glow Girl (original mix from 1974, not that great IMO), there really aren't "original mixes" for those tracks...

Aren't there? I mean, not *official* original mixes, but the mixes that were bootlegged for ages before the expanded editions came out were certainly different ("Pop Goes Art" uses some of these). Girls' Eyes, Early Morning Cold Taxi, etc. all had earlier mixes.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:19 pm

Well, I think those were "original" in the sense that they were mixed in the late '80s for a possible box set. At least that's my understanding. I don't believe they used "original '60s mixes" or anything...

bill p.

Postby bill p. » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:25 pm

Pop Goes Art, is the title. I got it wrong in my post, sorry I've been listening to many different titles lately, and get confused sometimes.