Future Who Deluxe editions?

Just what the name says.
Chris M

Postby Chris M » Fri May 09, 2003 2:24 am

bill p. wrote:It's harder for me to get excited about a Tommy Deluxe Edition then say, By Numbers or Sell Out. Who By Numbers would be a great choice, especially if their are some full band demo's or worthwhile rehearsal takes. Good point about the Swansea concert.
:

Does anyone know for sure if they attempted any songs during the By Numbers sessions that didn't make the LP? We know about the full band Blue Red and Grey but was there anything else? Seems like they would of at least tried more of John's songs.....

Chris

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:13 pm

And the answer is apparently Tommy. The new ICE reports Universal is looking at October for a full-blown Tommy orgy, with SACD, DVD-A and Deluxe Edition versions.

This raises way more questions than it answers, but that's all they said.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

sheperdfan

Postby sheperdfan » Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:55 pm

Hi Everybody,
I know that, technically, this wouldn't be considered a Who Deluxe Edition. But it hit me like a ton of bricks this morning that I would love to see a Deluxe Edition of Townshend/Lane-Rough Mix. I'd also like to second the notion of one for Who By Numbers.
Knowing Universal, I could also see a Deluxe Who Are You as well. With that one, they should put on the drum workout that Moon did during those sessions that John Enwistle claimed was so incredible and has been preserved for posterity. I recall him talking about it in an interview of some type. He was speaking in context of the subject that Keith's drumming was supposed to be on the decline during those sessions and that he reeled off a solo which apparently blew people away when they heard it. I just wish I could remember where I read about this.
sheperdfan

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:17 pm

"Who Are You" being the most-changed of all of the Moon-era discs in the current reissue series (frankly, while I generally like the sound of the remix better, it's incredibly sloppy in places), the original should probably be brought back into print at some point...
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:26 pm

Yeah. It'd be depressing for a whole generation to grow up thinking that the horn break in "Had Enough" is supposed to sound the way it does on the remix.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:53 pm

...why don't I think that a "whole generation" is going to buy the Who Are You album?;)

I still don't get where the hell the alternate drum intro to Trick of the Light comes from. Y'know, if the thing weren't so damn sloppy, it'd be a much better listen. I like the new feel of 905, for example, but when lines're faded up late...
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:54 pm

My problem, of course, is I had never heard the original mix until about two years ago, and then it was only on the MCA CD, which is less than stellar.

Correction - some unnamed person sent me a copy of the MoFi, which is perhaps a bit better. How does the famed Polydoor Cee Dee compare?

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:19 pm

OK, so millions of fresh-faced youth aren't going to be led cruelly astray or anything like that. Sue me for hyperbole. :)

It is true, though, that for every head-scratching moment, there's one that actually works. However, I have yet to find any excuse for what they did to "Cry If You Want" on It's Hard. I know I'm probably a numbskull for liking that song, but gee golly whillikers, Beev, they sure did screw that one up. Shame, because (overt mixing changes aside -- some of which, again, work) the remix of that record does sound much better than the old WB/MCA mudfest.

Ryan

PS - how do you spell "whillikers"?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:22 pm

Yeah...It's Hard is clearly changed beyond recognition in many places (which is why I noted that WAY is the most-changed MOON-era album).

Luke: I know Fang loves the Polydor disc, but I prefer the MoFI ever so slightly...I think it has better bottom end. They're very close, though, and only the MoFi gives you the extra "Guitar and Pen."
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re:

Postby lukpac » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:38 pm

lukpac wrote:Original mixes of the bonus tracks? What do you mean? Other than Someone's Coming (mono only) and Glow Girl (original mix from 1974, not that great IMO), there really aren't "original mixes" for those tracks...

Shows what I know.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Re: Future Who Deluxe editions?

Postby Rspaight » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:19 pm

For what it's worth, thewho.com is now free to access. There's a Q&A blog post Pete did a while back where he says that he's bored with doing reissues, and stopped partway through the 5.1 Quadrophenia DE because he lost interest.

Moot point, anyway, because there's no surround formats left to issue it on.

Beatlesfan03

Re: Future Who Deluxe editions?

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:57 pm

Rspaight wrote:For what it's worth, thewho.com is now free to access. There's a Q&A blog post Pete did a while back where he says that he's bored with doing reissues, and stopped partway through the 5.1 Quadrophenia DE because he lost interest.

Moot point, anyway, because there's no surround formats left to issue it on.

Cut your negativity - Sony's going to throw their support again behind SACD any minute. You watch... :mrgreen:
Craig