Cry of Love/Audley Freed

Just what the name says.
Patrick M

Cry of Love/Audley Freed

Postby Patrick M » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:08 pm

[The following is posted for 'house in the country' Ed.]

Have you heard them? If so, what do you think of Audley Freed's playing?

just curious...

balthazar

Postby balthazar » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:46 am

Didn't they have a fairly big song in the early- to mid-90's, called "Peace Pipe?"

I liked that song.

Don't know the band members' names, though. If Audley Freed is the guitarist, I can't say I'm necessarily qualified to evaluate him. "Peace Pipe" was a pretty cool song, though.[/i]

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:27 am

balthazar wrote:Didn't they have a fairly big song in the early- to mid-90's, called "Peace Pipe?"

That's right. Also "Bad Thing." And, yes, Audley Freed was the guitarist.

I listened to both of their CDs yesterday, but can't really get into them.

Ed

Postby Ed » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:17 pm

Hi Patrick,

I remember these guys from the mid 90's. Sounded like a bar band that was influenced by Bad Company and old Aerosmith. Really didn't do anything for me either. Currently residing in the "where are they now" file along with Brother Cane and The Bottle Rockets. Here today gone tomorrow.

~Ed
Lukpacite...and proud of it ! I'm not hungry, I'm full, so don't feed me.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:24 pm

Ed wrote:I remember these guys from the mid 90's. Sounded like a bar band that was influenced by Bad Company and old Aerosmith. Really didn't do anything for me either. Currently residing in the "where are they now" file along with Brother Cane and The Bottle Rockets. Here today gone tomorrow.

So I can assume Audley Freed didn't make a big impression on you?

I hear a lot of BadCo in the first album ("Brother").

Lots of King's X people seem to dig this band. Interestingly, lots of KX people also did Brother Cane. I have one by them - Seeds - but it's not something I play regularly.

What about Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies? Heard them?

balthazar

Postby balthazar » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:27 pm

What about Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies? Heard them?

Heard of them, but not heard them that I know of.[/i]

Kym in Hawaii

Postby Kym in Hawaii » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:54 pm

I really liked Brother because the video for "Bad Thing" sold me. The intro to "Bad Thing" is a direct ripoff of Bad Company's "Can't Get Enough"!

Of course, listening to it made me hanker for Bad Company. Guess which one I listen to more nowadays? :)

Ed

Postby Ed » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:03 pm

Screaming Cheetah Wheelies, yeah vaguely remember them too. Did nothing for me.

I can honestly say there were very few blues-rock guys from the 90's that impressed me.

I like Chris Duarte for his playing, even if it's a bit heavy on the SRV influence, I still think he's great and has alot of original ideas.

Ian Moore's first album is a monster. After that I lost interest and just couldn't get into him anymore as he kinda got a bit too left field for me.

I really like Doyle Bramhall II as well. Strong material, with really good guitar playing and vocals. Alot of SRV influence without sounding like him.

Corey Stevens, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Jonny Lang do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me. Three unoriginal ripoffs that offer nothing musically ambitious. And if KWS thinks having Double Trouble on his albums gives him any kind of validity, think again. Give me Ronnie Earl or the late great Little Jimmy King over these jokes anyday.

And I still love Jimmie Vaughan regardless of any dumbass who wants to make the comparison of him to his brother. Apples to oranges as he is his own man.

Best, Ed
Lukpacite...and proud of it ! I'm not hungry, I'm full, so don't feed me.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:35 pm

What about Eric Sardinas?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:22 pm

Whether or not you like Cry of Love, Audley Freed is an excellent guitarist. After Cry of Love he joined the Black Crowes as their touring guitarist - I don't know what he's doing now. I saw Cry of Love once and they were better live than on the record - a kick ass band. My brother just sent me an email the other day after seeing what they are up to. The rhythm section is playing with Chris Duarte. The singer is the drummer and sometimes singer in a cover band.

http://www.crushband.net/