Gene Clark and the Brummels

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

Gene Clark and the Brummels

Postby Xenu » Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:22 pm

Yo all.

Two quick questions:

a) Anybody here heard the Collectors Choice reissue of "No Other?" Is it any better than the German line issue? (which is fine, but slightly underwhelming)

b) On the Collectors Choice line, I keep hearing that someone (Repertoire?) plans to reissue '66, Triangle, and Bradley's Barn with tons of bonus tracks, which would presumably be preferrable to the bare-bones CCM issues. Thing is, I haven't heard anytihng new on this front for a while, and can't confirm it anywhere. Anybody have something more solid?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Ron

Postby Ron » Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:06 pm

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8318&highlight=beau+brummels+collectors+choice

That's a thread that I, ironically, started on sh.tv. Maybe it'll help. But I still haven't seen the European Warner's issues that are referred to in that thread.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Line CDs

Postby lukpac » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:10 am

Xenu wrote:a) Anybody here heard the Collectors Choice reissue of "No Other?" Is it any better than the German line issue? (which is fine, but slightly underwhelming)

Does anyone have much experience with Line CDs? I have one (Mason Proffit: Come & Gone) and I never thought it sounded very good. It was only once I got the One Way CD that I realized that the Line CD SUCKED. Noise reduction city. It almost sounds like when you listen to a low-bit WAV file on the computer - kind of "grainy" sounding, if you will.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that chances are (if there's any type of pattern) just about anything will sound better than your Line CD. The MP disc came out in 1990, FWIW.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:52 am

I do, actually.

Most of my Line CDs are fairly underwhelming. Agent isn't all that great (but then again, neither is the remaster for different reasons...haven't heard the old BGO), the Zombies collections are just weird (poor transfers), the Easybeats collection is mediocre...however, their Left Banke stuff is pretty naff.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Ron

Re: Line CDs

Postby Ron » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:16 pm

lukpac wrote:I guess what I'm trying to say is that chances are just about anything will sound better than your Line CD.

I'm not going to defend Line--I've only got a couple of CDs from them myself. But Luke, you've only got one CD from that company. And on the basis of that one CD you'd say "just about anything will sound better than your Line CD"? That doesn't strike me as very responsible advice.

I'm very fond of my Line copy of the Big Star 2-fer--killed my old Fantasy 2-fer all to hell. Couldn't wait to get rid of that dry, lifeless thing. David, what do you think about the Line CD copy I sent you? Do me a favor and shoot one over to Luke so we can discuss it here.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:54 pm

Ya got me, Ron...<g>

Ron

Postby Ron » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:38 am

You're forgiven. This time. :D