Youngbloods - Darkness, Darkness

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Youngbloods - Darkness, Darkness

Postby lukpac » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:23 am

I only have this on The Golden Age Of Underground Radio. My question then, is what do other versions sound like? The one on this disc has very little hiss along with a very "grainy" sound common to noise reduction of the day (late '80s). Are there other versions that don't sound like this? Or is it just a strange recording/mix?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:50 am

Luke, as I'm not home right now, can you make a quick MP3 of it? I'll compare it against a few versions I've downloaded.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:24 am

Sorry to dredge up such an ancient thread. I just snagged the MFSL Elephant Mountain for $35. I've never heard the album but since the MFSL usually goes for much more I decided to grab it. How does the MFSL compare to the recent Sundazed issue?
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Jeff T.

Re: Youngbloods - Darkness, Darkness

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:31 am

lukpac wrote:I only have this on The Golden Age Of Underground Radio. My question then, is what do other versions sound like? The one on this disc has very little hiss along with a very "grainy" sound common to noise reduction of the day (late '80s). Are there other versions that don't sound like this? Or is it just a strange recording/mix?

That was done by SH. So I would guess no traditional noise reduction was applied. But in order to make the material have a consistency across the board, I would guess some dynamics or certain tracks was toned down so each song would sound like it was coming out of the same radio.

The mentioned track Darkness, Darkness sounds a tad louder on the MFSL CD. I didn't notice grain on either. But it 3am and I am not playing the discs very loud. Perhaps he used the MFSL CD as his master, and reduced the level a bit? :P Why not ask Steve, or search that disc on his fourm?

PS Five years ago, perhaps you now know.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:57 am

I was mainly wondering if perhaps SH used a tape that was already NR'd. I think maybe it's just an odd sounding recording, though.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD