German "Hey Jude" and Entwistle "Smash Your H

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

German "Hey Jude" and Entwistle "Smash Your H

Postby Xenu » Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:05 pm

It the above the "good" one? It was on Apple, made by EMI, hade a GEMA sticker...I really don't remember the conversations about it. Did I just pass up something good? (FWIW, this store *also* had a mono promo of Zappa's "Ruben" for like $80...I wonder if I could've made a profit on *that* tasty biscuit).

And now, onto the second topic: "Smash Your Head."

If one checks WhiteFang's Who review stuff, he mentions that a "third" version of "What Are We Doing Here?" exists on the UK copy of this record and nowhere else. A few problems I had with this:

a) WhiteFang asserts that the Sundazed CD of the disc uses the "UK Mix," while the Repertoire disc uses the "US" mix. This doesn't seem to be true, as I have a US Decca copy, and it (mostly) matches my Sundazed copy, while my Repertoire matches nothing I've heard on vinyl.

b) There *are* at least three versions of "What Are We..." on disc...a remix is on Anthology. The other two are the one I'm familiar with from the US vinyl (which shows up on various hits comps and is the "bonus track" on the Sundazed CD...a variation of this makes up the Anthology remix) and the "rough vocal" version that occupies Track 3 of both the Sundazed and Repertoire CDs.

So for ages, I've been unable to determine what this "unreleased anywhere else" version is. The problem is worsened by the fact that it seems ridiculously difficult to find a Track "Smash"...I know it exists, but it isn't even listed in some price guides!

Anybody here *have* that version of the record? I need to settle this once and for all.

-D

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:14 pm

I believe that German Hey Jude is a/the good one. Or so I've heard anyway - I've never seen one. How much was it?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:29 pm

$20. Fuck. Ahh well...there's always next weekend.

Any leads on the Smash?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Patrick M

Re: German "Hey Jude" and Entwistle "Smash Yo

Postby Patrick M » Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:37 pm

Xenu wrote:(FWIW, this store *also* had a mono promo of Zappa's "Ruben" for like $80...I wonder if I could've made a profit on *that* tasty biscuit).

Surely that's not a proper mono mix (?). Was that the last mono Zappa in the US? Promo only?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Xenu
Sellout

Re: German "Hey Jude" and Entwistle "Smash Yo

Postby Xenu » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:36 am

Patrick M wrote:
Xenu wrote:(FWIW, this store *also* had a mono promo of Zappa's "Ruben" for like $80...I wonder if I could've made a profit on *that* tasty biscuit).

Surely that's not a proper mono mix (?). Was that the last mono Zappa in the US? Promo only?

Actually, the Zappa Patio seems to list it as having a regular release. No idea if it would be a proper mix, esp. as Zappa's catalogue is fairly odd in that respect:

a) Freak Out! Mono mix may or may not be a fold down, as it corresponds pretty much exactly (from what I hear) to a knockdown of the stereo. Might just be a pretty simple mix.

b) AbFree. I have a mono mix of this, but it's pretty awful (I need better transfers for my Zappa monos--most are taken from cassette taken from LP and cleaned up as best I can--AND for the mono Safe As Milk). Apparently, one side is a knock-down, and one isn't.

c) "Money." Pretty rare. Mostly a unique mix (and a FASCINATING unique mix), although Idiot Bastard Son is quite clearly a knockdown (odd, esp. as alternate mono mixes exist) and I have no idea if Zappa would've bothered making mono mixes of the...uh..."instrumentals."

d) "Gravy." Lord only knows.

e) Ruben. See d).

I'm pretty sure there aren't monos at all from Uncle Meat on.

-D

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:24 pm

It's on the way, apparently. We'll see.
-------------

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:31 pm

Just got it. Didn't get to listen for long, but:

a) "My Size" is the regular mix.
b) "What Are We Doing Here" doesn't seem to be a "long lost mix" at all; it seems to correspond to the track 3 version on the CDs.
c) I did not, however, have time to check for other mix differences.
-------------