LIVE RADIO SHOWS King Biscuit WW1 BBC Supergroups The Source

Just what the name says.
Jeff T.

LIVE RADIO SHOWS King Biscuit WW1 BBC Supergroups The Source

Postby Jeff T. » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:36 am

I wanted to start a thread on those "In Concert" Radio Show transcription discs. The one like the King Biscuit Flower Hour, Westwood One, BBC Rock Hour, and Supergroups in Concert, etc.

I have been re-editing many of my pre-FM radio shows for my music server. When you have six LP sides and you need to do an edited version without commercials or side breaks, one needs to cross-fade each side to the next, and cut out announcer and commercials. Most recently, I came to the conclusion that the best way to do this is to create a timeline in Sony Vegas which is my preferred video editor for PC. Then drop each captured LP side into the timeline and edit out the junk, and drag and drop the remaining material around into cross-fades and listen in real time if it sounds fine or not and make any changes right there. Then once you have it right, output a single wav file (perfect lossless) of complete edited show. Then go back to that complete version and cut each song into it's own wav file in Goldwave audio editor.

See it never dawned on me to use a Video editor on my "audio only" projects until last year. I mean I knew you could do it, but I was fine using Goldwave for audio work.

But two things bugged me. One was that (with Goldwave) cross-fades needed to be rendered before you could hear them and check if it all sounded fine or required slight changes. The other thing is I read that Goldwave got caught re-sampling the wav file, or re-processing the file when doing cross-fades. The normal thing, when done correctly is for the editor to only re-sample the part of the file which is cross-faded, and not the whole damn song. Someone on the GW forums proved that GW was changing the entire file, and not just the cross-faded part, which the mods admitted was happening.

I'd rather not have anything being done to my precious drops from rare transcription vinyl. So for the sake of better quality, however slight, and the ability to hear my edit moves right then and there without waiting, Sony Vegas is the ticket.

I've just redone some of my older shows with great results. See, I used to buy those Biscuits, etc. on ebay, needle drop them, and then a year or two later I would sell them off. I always made profit on them. Sometimes I would buy a show for $29.99, and sell it two years later for $366.00, or some crazy sum. I'm pretty good at that sort of thing. And I flipped them before the market crashed on that stuff. And I met a collector who lent me dozens of these shows to drop and photocopy the cue sheets.

Anyway, back to what I was talking about. Back around 1999 to 2005 I needle dropped these shows to CD-R with all content included. A 3LP box set would be on 2 CD-Rs, with cue sheets carefully photocopied. So I have these TY CD-Rs (with cue sheets) of complete shows. So now I rip the CD-R content to a work folder on my desktop, and do the editing, and then record edited to CD-R, and then rip to flac for the server. For some shows I had previously done a edited master of, and now I am redoing them again because I swear that I am getting a tad more transparency using Goldwave for the cross-fades (that really only applies to the tracks which needed a cross-fade). Plus I am using ClickRepair on a few sections of these shows. Previously I would go in and remove any major ticks/clicks/pops by hand, and leave whatever was left to remain. Now I sometimes consider running a section of a song through ClickRepair to get an even cleaner sound at end of the process.

And another thing I am doing which I had not bothered with before too much, when a King Biscuit show begins, and at the very end, announcer Bill M. comes in right against the music. So it always makes for choppy editing unless you have some special skills and are of slight talent. I'm the talented type w/ skills. Here is what I do. I find a piece of audience applause from the show, some section between the songs performed. Save that section and use it later as an intro or at tail end of show. You cut out Bill M., and drag that piece of applause over where M. had intruded, and create a cross-fade into it. And if you do it right, you have enough length to fade out at end, and one will never know M. ever spoke. Sometimes I have to change volume of applause or find another piece to use that works better. But I always end up with a good solid program w/o the announcer(s) talking, and never any hints remaining that I have removed it.

So these developments I have made over the past year or so has made me go back to my original KBFH LPs, or the CD-R copies, and redo almost everything. I really don't mind redoing the work because the Sony Vegas method is so much easier anyway than Goldwave, at least for the first creation of a full program w/ no commercials. And I still like some of these shows.

Jeff T.

Re: LIVE RADIO SHOWS King Biscuit WW1 BBC Supergroups The So

Postby Jeff T. » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:33 am

Jeff T. wrote:For some shows I had previously done a edited master of, now I am redoing them again because I swear that I am getting a tad more transparency using Goldwave for the cross-fades (that really only applies to the tracks which needed a cross-fade).

This statement above is incorrect, I am finding Sony Vegas to be the preferred editing software for this audio work, and I think it results in slightly more transparency for the given tracks (those that required cross-fades due to commercial breaks, etc.).

shipping cartons for those lovely KBFH and WW! master disc LP sets!
Attachments
ww1 box.JPG
ww1 box.JPG (108.15 KiB) Viewed 9383 times
kbfh box.jpg
kbfh box.jpg (154.75 KiB) Viewed 9383 times