Jackson 5 - ABC - multitracks!!!

Just what the name says.
Jeff T.

Jackson 5 - ABC - multitracks!!!

Postby Jeff T. » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Did ya'll see that the multitracks to this old Motown gen appeared on the green devil site? I love it when they up those kinds of things. I use Sony Vegas (video editing / audio mixing software for PC) to bring them all up and view with faders and mute button. Someday I am going to do a 5.1 mix (or at least quad) of all these songs which I've gotten multitrack tapes for. Fun Stuff!!!

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Jackson 5 - ABC - multitracks!!!

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:40 pm

Grabbed it. A few weird things:

- All of the files are stereo files, for some reason.

- The first two tracks are a final mix...the final mono mix I guess.

- The Jermaine track is strange. It's mostly silent (with some hiss and faint bleed elsewhere), but during the punch-ins it has not only the Jermaine vocal, but the lead and first backing vocal track (4) as well. And those aren't from bleed either, either from headphones or live tracking - it's almost as if they mistakenly got recorded onto the track during the overdub. Yet it would seem the response is better than one would expect from the sync head on an MM-1000.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:25 am

I have not sat down with it and brought them all up on the board for my own amusement yet. Are you saying that each track seems to have a L or R mate to it, so each track is one part of a stereo track?

If that is the case, then there might have been some bouncing after sub mixing? and so each stereo set is a sub mix.

I really should open them up in the mixing board before I comment.

Did you get the Marvin Gaye - "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" multis, as well as the Doobie Brothers "Long Train Running" that were up a while back? They were cool.

The Marvin was interesting to me because it showed how sparse the lead guitar was, and so tastefully played when what little was played appeared. Like the Jackson 5, some tracks remained silent for 95% of the take, which is a good thing imo. I can't stand players that thing that they need to play nonstop.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:19 am

Jeff T. wrote:I have not sat down with it and brought them all up on the board for my own amusement yet. Are you saying that each track seems to have a L or R mate to it, so each track is one part of a stereo track?

No. Instead of a bunch of mono FLACs, they are all stereo, with the same content in both channels. So in terms of the actual multi, 30 channels of audio, but 15 are duplicates.

I have Grapevine.

There's a boot out with 4 of the LZII 8-tracks. Listening now.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:27 pm

I need to get that LZ reel!!!

I just threaded up that J5 multi. I find that playing all vocals with only bass backing really shows off the arrangement in a fun way. The song is so drilled into our brains from constant radio play and media ownership that it is not so mysterious as other tracks might be. But it is a fun one, and I am for sure going to do a surround mix of this. Perhaps all vocals spread out in fronts, and most everything else in rears. Try and show off those vocals in a L to R spread with just a few hand claps in there. And then the music mostly all in back of listener.