New ATMP remaster available on vinyl, 24/96 download

Just what the name says.
Rspaight

New ATMP remaster available on vinyl, 24/96 download

Postby Rspaight » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:15 am

http://theseconddisc.com/2010/10/19/all ... e-to-pass/

Remastered "at Abbey Road" -- if this is the same team as did the Beatles and Lennon remasters, this could be good.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: New ATMP remaster available on vinyl, 24/96 download

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Haven't heard the Lennon stuff, but I'm still less than thrilled with the stereo Beatles stuff. We'll see how the Apple remasters are.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:47 pm

I think the Beatles/Lennon/Badfinger remasters are beyond excellent, so I'm hopeful.

What don't you like about the Beatles remasters Luke? They're a little heavy in the upper mids (so is the original UK vinyl) but otherwise they're superb.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:45 pm

JWB wrote:What don't you like about the Beatles remasters Luke? They're a little heavy in the upper mids (so is the original UK vinyl) but otherwise they're superb.

I honestly haven't listening to the whole catalog thoroughly, but...:

- The stereo Thank You Girl sounds positively *dreadful*. Rolled off high end, terrible midrange.
- AHDN stereo is a mess. Messed up intro of the title track, narrowed, and (IMO) crummy EQ that puts a blanket over what can be a very "live" sounding mix.

Some things are better/worse than others, but my general feeling is they often unnecessarily tried to "punch things up", while at the same time ignoring (intentionally?) EQ sore points.

I find the sound of the mono box enjoyable enough, although for the most part it doesn't "wow" me. For example, my thought on Rubber Soul was "couldn't this be a bit clearer or realistic sounding?" My recollection is the version on Soul Sessions might actually be a hair nicer sounding.

Is there something in particular you feel is a significant improvement over the original CDs?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JWB

Postby JWB » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:33 pm

Beyond the AHDN fuck-up and the messed up German track (can't remember which one), they did an awesome job for a catalog this large. I compared them all closely to the "Blue Box" pressings and most of them sound damn near identical, ususally with a slightly wider soundstage. (AHDN is an exception to this.) It's kind of like the Stones remasters - overall excellent but there were a few errors. IMO the sound would be perfect if they pulled back on the upper mids a little bit, but then they wouldn't sound quite like the vinyl, which seems to be their goal.

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Looks like a "Free Hi-Res Audio Track" wav file of "Wah-Wah" is available at: http://www.georgeharrison.com

Listening now, it sounds good to me.
-Matt

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:18 pm

JWB wrote:Beyond the AHDN fuck-up and the messed up German track (can't remember which one), they did an awesome job for a catalog this large. I compared them all closely to the "Blue Box" pressings and most of them sound damn near identical, ususally with a slightly wider soundstage. (AHDN is an exception to this.) It's kind of like the Stones remasters - overall excellent but there were a few errors. IMO the sound would be perfect if they pulled back on the upper mids a little bit, but then they wouldn't sound quite like the vinyl, which seems to be their goal.

Just my opinion, but 16/44.1 CDs can never sound identicle to a well done UK LP pressing of the same material. General toneality can be very similar, but I always hear a big step down the moment the sound comes out of the speakers when I listen to a CD after knowing the analog version well for many years.

Unless there is no vinyl version of a given work, the CD is, to me, just a little portable freeze-dried copy version of the work. A toy for playing around with in the car, on the beach, or with friends.