What the Hull?!?

Just what the name says.
elcelc

What the Hull?!?

Postby elcelc » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Or should I say "Who", the Hull show from 1970 is being released in the 40th anniversary Leeds super-deluxe set.

Luke, any inside info on this? I know the whole "the bass didn't record" thing has been beat to death. I interpret that as, "It didn't record sufficiently for 1970 technology to release so let's use Leeds instead." These days, computer tech plays a huge role in recording as well as audio forensics. There have been some pretty impressive clean-ups done.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: What the Hull?!?

Postby lukpac » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Not sure what was or wasn't done to "fix" the bass, nor how extensive the problem was, other than it was *apparently* only during the first song or songs. I guess Bob Pridden has done (is doing?) the mixing, and Jon Astley didn't know the specifics.

Also, as far as Leeds go, Jon indicated he'd like to re-do Leeds, as he doesn't like the sound on the DE, but he has not been given the opportunity. I would assume such a re-do would just involve mastering, sequencing and possibly less editing of banter, and that the mixing (including overdubs) would not change. Whatever the case, it apparently isn't happening here, so I wouldn't hold out for it anytime soon.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:43 am

So the Leeds discs are the same ones from the DE? :(
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:49 pm

Rspaight wrote:So the Leeds discs are the same ones from the DE? :(

Well, now they might not be. Seems as if it is still up in the air.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD