Beatles Capitol Boxes

Just what the name says.
JWB

Beatles Capitol Boxes

Postby JWB » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:04 am

Are any of the mono albums in the Capitol boxes new fold-downs or are they all taken from the same tapes as the LP's? I was wondering about the second album and Help specifically.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Beatles Capitol Boxes

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:02 am

JWB wrote:Are any of the mono albums in the Capitol boxes new fold-downs or are they all taken from the same tapes as the LP's? I was wondering about the second album and Help specifically.

Same tapes as the LPs, except when the LPs were straight fold-downs. IIRC, that applies to Help! and...I want to say Early Beatles, but don't quote me on the second one. In those cases, the fold-downs were simply done digitally, rather than having been taken from the fold-down tapes.

Second Album wasn't a fold-down.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:13 am

Right. There was a huge brouhaha when the second box came out because all four albums were digital fold-downs in their mono versions. Capitol said this was an error and replaced Rubber Soul and Beatles VI with the actual mono versions, but left Help and Early Beatles alone since those were fold-downs to begin with. Some still griped that the fold-downs were not the "original" fold-downs.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:47 am

So Early Beatles & Help are digital fold-downs and the rest are from tape?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:56 pm

Yes.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JWB

Postby JWB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:33 pm

I was just curious if it was certain because the mono Early Beatles is supposed to have two true mono tracks amidst the fold-downs. I believe Help! is the only album that is a fold-down all the way through.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:00 am

Which two songs are supposed to not be fold downs on Early Beatles? Not that it's necessarily the last word, but Brennan indicates the whole album is a fold down.

JWB

Postby JWB » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:26 pm

lukpac wrote:Which two songs are supposed to not be fold downs on Early Beatles? Not that it's necessarily the last word, but Brennan indicates the whole album is a fold down.

Love Me Do/P.S. I Love You

I'm gonna grab the Ebbetts Early Beatles and look into this further.

JWB

Postby JWB » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:47 am

OK I folded down the stereo LMD in the Capitol box and compared it to the mono and they were nearly identical. The Ebbetts mono LP sounds like a fold-down as well. So I was wrong.