Boomer history ends on September 9 (Beatles remasters)

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Boomer history ends on September 9 (Beatles remasters)

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:17 pm

lukpac wrote:High quality version of the trailer:

http://www.emimusic.nl/external/microsi ... eatles.mov

Or not?

http://www.examiner.com/x-2082-Beatles- ... -Amazoncom

"In case you were wondering, the trailer for the remastered albums on the Beatles website does not contain remastered music, we've been told. But it does have "Please Please Me" and "Eight Days a Week" in stereo and a glimpse at what the remaster packages might look like. But both those songs have been out in stereo. It's just been a while that the UK mixes have been available legitimately."

One wonders what the source is for that.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:43 pm

Chiming in as requested:

The source could be any number of things, including the Capitol boxen. It's a flash video, for crying out loud.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:50 pm

lukpac wrote:Using the 1987 remixes again is slightly curious, but I can't say I'm entirely surprised.

I think it's just plain weird, and makes me wonder exactly what sources they're using for the other tracks. Frankly, the press release smacks of early-90s reissue hyperbole. Exactly how in the fucking world does it take four years to remaster the material? Everything is in one place!
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Xenu wrote:I think it's just plain weird, and makes me wonder exactly what sources they're using for the other tracks. Frankly, the press release smacks of early-90s reissue hyperbole. Exactly how in the fucking world does it take four years to remaster the material? Everything is in one place!

Probably the same reason it will take me that long to finish Live At Leeds Complete.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:38 pm

lukpac wrote:I figure the people who care about the difference are probably going to get the mono set anyway, which has the original stereo mixes.

Please excuse me for not reading every word of the press releases, etc. I no long can take Beatles reading in forums.

But it looks like you are saying that original STEREO mixes (of those two albums Help and Rubber Soul) are going to be found on the mono CDs? This I did not see in the press releases. Am I reading this correct?

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:48 am

Jeff T. wrote:
lukpac wrote:I figure the people who care about the difference are probably going to get the mono set anyway, which has the original stereo mixes.

Please excuse me for not reading every word of the press releases, etc. I no long can take Beatles reading in forums.

But it looks like you are saying that original STEREO mixes (of those two albums Help and Rubber Soul) are going to be found on the mono CDs? This I did not see in the press releases. Am I reading this correct?

From the press release:
As an added bonus, the mono "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" discs also include the original 1965 stereo mixes, which have not been previously released on CD.

While I consider the mono mixes of those two definitive, I would actually be interested in proper stereo remixes, and Luke will question me on that, from the multitrack masters without any additional reverb. But more likely is that they reissue the 1987 mixes.

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:54 am

Thanks for finding that.

I don't mind the hard L & R of those original mixes. I listen mostly in a big room with four speakers, one in each corner, and it fills the room well, and there is some bleeding.

You really feel the music in my room. Funny that when I hear a high end system at a show, it sounds good and clean and still does not move me because you don't feel the sound working the room at those shows.

Anyway, the original mixes are fuine with me. Even the first two albums are fine in stereo for me. They rock!

Lance Hall

Postby Lance Hall » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:21 pm

I get a funny feeling about Help & Rubber Soul and the way they have been referenced. Surely Jeff Jones and the remix crew KNOWS the 1987 remixes are generally hated and do not belong in the legitimate canon. If they are trying to do the catalog "right" and with respect (which they seem to be doing) then WHY would you stick awful remixes in there???? Note that the vintage stereo and mono mixes WILL be on the mono box.

I personally think they may use those two albums as an early try-out for remixing the core catalog that we know is coming in two years. The question is whether they'll largely replicate the old mixes OR be "modern"

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:47 pm

Lance Hall wrote:I get a funny feeling about Help & Rubber Soul and the way they have been referenced. Surely Jeff Jones and the remix crew KNOWS the 1987 remixes are generally hated and do not belong in the legitimate canon. If they are trying to do the catalog "right" and with respect (which they seem to be doing) then WHY would you stick awful remixes in there???? Note that the vintage stereo and mono mixes WILL be on the mono box.

I personally think they may use those two albums as an early try-out for remixing the core catalog that we know is coming in two years. The question is whether they'll largely replicate the old mixes OR be "modern"

Generally hated by who? Do most people even know they are remixed? Those '87 remixes have already been used on 62-66 and 1; for whatever reason, they seem to feel they are 'canon' now.

As with talk about She Loves You showing up in stereo, I can't fathom seemingly big news like that being held back while they tell us 5 minutes of NR was used. I've been wrong before, but I'd be quite surprised if the new CDs had anything other than the '87 remixes.

Lance Hall

Postby Lance Hall » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:22 pm

Hated by most Beatards like us. I like a few of the 1987 remixes though. The original 1965 mixes generally are terds to start with. George Martin thought so also and modified them BUT dicked them up in a new way with the cold swampy metallic digital reverb, weird EQ, and harsh vocals. Pick your poisen.

The people involved with the remastering certainly are aware of the differences also and have the power to modify them which I suspect they will. We shall see.
Last edited by Lance Hall on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:35 pm

Lance Hall wrote:Hated by most Beatards like us.

Somehow I don't think we're the target audience.

FWIW, while I haven't tried re-EQing them, I have to wonder how much of the crumminess of those remixes is due to the mastering. When I compared the remix of Rubber Soul to my German LP, the remix sounded positively thin and dreadful. Yet when I compared it to the Canadian CD it didn't sound nearly as bad. Not that I didn't still prefer the original mix, but the differences were a lot less.

Of course, the issue of what is "good" is entirely subjective. I'm amazed at how bad (to my ears) much of "1" sounds, yet apparently somebody (Peter Mew, at least) thought it was an improvement.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:56 am

You're rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic trying to figure out what the "good" stereo mix of Rubber Soul is. The mono is the hands-down choice of intelligent and sexually attractive people everywhere.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:38 am

Rspaight wrote:The mono is the hands-down choice of intelligent and sexually attractive people everywhere.

I thought we were talking about Beatles fans.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:25 pm

lukpac wrote:
Rspaight wrote:The mono is the hands-down choice of intelligent and sexually attractive people everywhere.

I thought we were talking about Beatles fans.

Well, there goes the marketing plan.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Lance Hall

Postby Lance Hall » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:47 pm

Rspaight wrote:You're rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic trying to figure out what the "good" stereo mix of Rubber Soul is.

Well I would say mixing the rhythm track center and the vocals split left/right would be pretty good! :D