Boomer history ends on September 9 (Beatles remasters)

Just what the name says.
Lance Hall

Re: Boomer history ends on September 9 (Beatles remasters)

Postby Lance Hall » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:56 pm

I know it's a tangent to the remasters but some clips from Rock Band are on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8mkkCtTghU&feature=channel

On "Birthday" the stereo mix is similar to the original mix except there's a very slight opening up of the music track.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:30 pm

Lance Hall wrote:I know it's a tangent to the remasters but some clips from Rock Band are on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8mkkCtTghU&feature=channel

On "Birthday" the stereo mix is similar to the original mix except there's a very slight opening up of the music track.

Interesting. Odd that it was mixed that way in the first place, being an 8-track recording.

I find the continued insistence that Help and Rubber Soul were newly remixed (er, "rebalanced") laughable.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:50 am

I'm hoping this recent sampler becomes available through the normal channels soon.

-Matt

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:22 pm

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c7yxo3

That purports to be the new "Komm."

Does it sound weird to anybody else?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:24 pm

Xenu wrote:http://www.sendspace.com/file/c7yxo3

The old one always sounded weird if thats what you mean.

Matt

Postby Matt » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:13 pm

Here is a site with the stereo albums in mp3 format (minus past masters):

http://tinyurl.com/nte72s
-Matt

Matt

Postby Matt » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:16 pm

Looks like they have also been posted (with past masters) to the usenet group alt.binaries.sounds.complete.mp3
-Matt

Matt

Postby Matt » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:05 pm

Stereo box in flac:

http://tinyurl.com/mdxyu5

Any comments so far? They sound good to me, no question that they are more detailed. The earlier albums seem to suprise me more.
-Matt

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Matt wrote:Stereo box in flac:

http://tinyurl.com/mdxyu5

Any comments so far? They sound good to me, no question that they are more detailed. The earlier albums seem to surprise me more.

Jumping around on Please Please Me from the stereo set and I am actually sort of underwhelmed by it. The same tracks, IMHO, sound much better on the Capitol Albums than they do here.

Also, it seems like some of the five minutes of NR were used on "I Saw Her Standing There." Compared to the Capitol Albums, the intro sounds quite dead on the remaster and the end seems to die out rather quickly.

The stuff on Past Masters in stereo sounds a bit better. And MMT seems to have improved as well although I always thought that was the best sounding original CD out of the bunch.
Craig

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:29 pm

Xenu wrote:http://www.sendspace.com/file/c7yxo3

No.

It sounds dreadful.

I'm not liking the EQ on Thank You Girl either.

The BFS tracks don't sound too bad, but I'm again not thrilled with the EQ - a bit too much upper midrange and a bit too little lower midrange/upper bass. The tapes probably sound pretty close to that, but they still could have undone that sound...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:00 pm

Beatlesfan03 wrote:Also, it seems like some of the five minutes of NR were used on "I Saw Her Standing There." Compared to the Capitol Albums, the intro sounds quite dead on the remaster and the end seems to die out rather quickly.

The intro sounds just as dead, and the end dies out just as fast, on the "Die Beatles" LP. So I think you're wrong about that. One thing they did do, however, was edit out a hi-hat tap at the very beginning.

lukpac wrote:
The BFS tracks don't sound too bad, but I'm again not thrilled with the EQ - a bit too much upper midrange and a bit too little lower midrange/upper bass. The tapes probably sound pretty close to that, but they still could have undone that sound...

I agree...the EQ is a little off for my taste...but so is the EQ on the original LP's...so I think they were pretty faithful to that. Being the gigantic nerd that I am, I will probably EQ the new remasters to my taste to replace the EQ'd needledrops I've been listening to. The remasters have that going for them...they are much better transfers than the old CD's.

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:01 pm

So basically there is no agreement on the new remasters? Some think they are dead and dull, while others think they are bright.

Some feel the later albums WA and AR sound most improved, while others feel the early albums shine most with new mastering.

And yet some even prefer the old 1987 discs.

It's been a long ride huh.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:40 pm

A Hard Day's Night (stereo) sucks. Flat and dull. The title track is f'd up for the first few seconds. The Capitol box (re-EQ'd of course) sounds much better.

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:30 am

Well, the predictable verdict for both mono and stereo editions:

Some are happy, some are sad, most of the rest of the world doesn't give a shit.

I like the mono edition for the later discs, but they don't blow away any clean vinyl I own.

As for the stereo...it is what it is, but finally original mixes (such as they were) for many early albums make an official debut, while that Japan CD pressing of AR will be held in the highest regard by audiophiles for decades to come (which is a whole thread in itself).

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:00 pm